Hurt Dew Claw

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitikarial2

Super Boxer
Lucy seems to have had a bad declawing of her dew claws, because she only has one. The other day she was licking her foot and there was a little blood, I noticed it was her dew claw that she was licking, but couldnt see anything. She is still licking it a little and wont let me really touch or play with it. I am calling the vet this am, but wondered if this is normal?

sgbtab

Banned
that is one of the problems with having dew claws. mattie still has hers and the one problem I have with hers is she will scratch me when she is happy. ouch.
the nail has to be kept short as to not get snagged. to get rid of the dew claw now would mean an amputaion.(sp)
how old is lucy? if she has not been spayed yet you could have the vet take care of the dew claw when spaying. this way she would not need to be put under a second time. also for right now you can put some neosporin on it. if you can not stop lucy from licking her dew claw then she might need a e-coller till it heals.

Del T.

Boxer Buddy
Sorry to sound stupid, but where are the dew claws actually?

The reason I ask is that we got Rocket last april and they said they were removed, but i'm not so sure.

kitikarial2

Super Boxer
Lucy has already been spayed. I know removing it is not an option now. i will just have to keep that nail shorter. Funny, Patch doesnt have that problem with his. The dew claws are on the side of the paw like the thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.