1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Humped" spine

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Indy B's Mom, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy B's Mom

Indy B's Mom Boxer Insane

DH and I just noticed tonight that Tyler's spine has a hump in the middle of his back. His spine resemles a roller coaster hill-is this normal or should we have his vet take extra care to examine it? He goes Friday at 2:00 for his 9wk shots+exam. Sorry for all the Tyler threads, we just worry about every little thing-he's our new baby!!

2. Vela

Vela Boxer Insane

My puppy had this when he was a baby too, I was very worried at first. I think the term for it is roachback, but I am not 100% sure on that. I tried to find pictures of roachback when mine was little to see if that was it but couldn't at the time, he is 2 now though. It's not something they want to see in a show dog, obviously, but mine isn't, though he did come from a breeder who shows and has champions and health tests, etc, so he comes from good stock. I don't know why some get that and some don't but it has never caused him any problems at all, and now you really can't see it or tell since he's bulked up at 2. I can only see it if he curls up in a ball then his lower spine pikes out just a little. I wouldn't worry much but I would just have the vet take a peek to make sure it's not something worse, but it's probably just fine. He runs, jumps, and otherwise acts perfectly fine. Good luck with the pup.

3. Indy B's Mom

Indy B's Mom Boxer Insane

Thank you Vela. DH did call his vet this morning to ask about it and she said that she sees that in boxers sometimes, but that she will take a close look on Friday. Tyler comes from show stock, too, just like your baby, but I guess these things happen(we never got him to show-just to play with our 3 yr old daughter). Thanks for the reply, it's always reassuring to hear that other people have had the same experiences(and scares) as us!!

4. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

It might just be a phase, but dogs also do that when they're having abdominal pain, so if you see other signs of discomfort, and the dog does not usually have a roach back, it's worth checking out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.