1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge Pinhead!

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by jicksies, Jan 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jicksies

jicksies Boxer Booster

I have an 8 mos. old Boxer pup named Booder who is exceptionally beautiful and sweet (aren't they all?) and I plan on studding him in a year...I am just curious as far as show quality pups are concerned, is an exceptionally pointy pinhead (occiput?) considered a fault? I have heard from some show people that it is considered an attribute but then I have also read the AKC standard where it mentions it as a flaw...Booder also has a "cowlick" on the top of his pinhead..lol its adorable and unique but wondered if thats also considered a "flaw" in the eyes of the "Showring". I don't plan on showing Booder but just wondered about his "future pups". Thanks! Jicksies, mom of three wonderful Boxers

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

If you aren't going to show Booder, how will you know if he conforms to the breed standard? I'm guessing that you have several knowledgable show breeders who will evaluate him for you - they should also be able to tell you how his head is.

In general, a pointy head will smooth out some as the dog matures. I'd keep an eye on it, however, since bad heads are thought to be dominant. How are his parents' heads? His grandparents? If he's got good heads behind him, it might be OK - if you breed him to bitches with good heads (and good heads behind them). The head is one of the most important features of the breed, so it's definitely not something you want to be lacksadaisical about.

FYI, I know you said you were going to be breeding him in a year, but most of the tests you'll be doing (hips, heart, etc.) are not valid until 24 months. I know you were probably generalizing (16 months is close to a year) but just in case....

Julie

3. jicksies

jicksies Boxer Booster

Thanks for the input Julie! Yes, I have done research on all the health testing that needs to be done and will hold off until they are completed...just gathering information for now... Booder's mother and his siblings (I own his brother Barley) do not have this characteristic...Last summer I attended a dog show with Booder in my arms and several people came up to me and asked about Booder. All were showing their Boxers and had said he had beautiful conformation-particularly his head. One man even said that there is a line of Boxers-champion lines who have this distinct cowlick and pinhead...at the time he mentioned the name but I have forgotten now. Booder's temperment is exceptional as well which I believe is much more important than a large pinhead! His health is good (so far) and think he may help to produce beyoootiful pups! But as I said before I know there is much to learn prior to getting involved in this. I'm taking it very seriously and want to gather as much info as I can!All my boxers previous to Booder had pinheads but they all flattened with time...my kids and I think its coz we pet them so much! Anyway, thanks again Julie...will keep researching and definitely get all the proper testing done prior to studding him.

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Glad to help. It's tough at this age because heads tend to change a lot before they're done. I can't tell you how many times we've decided we'll never be able to show our puppy, because his head was so ugly! (It's coming back now, thankfully.) We've finally learned to just sit back and wait - as Pat Hastings of Puppy Puzzle fame says, "Look at them at 8 weeks, and then don't peek again until they're full grown." Solid advice, if a little hard to follow ;)

Can I ask a question that's really none of my business? Why don't you plan on showing him? I've never thought of not showing my dogs, it honestly just never occurred to me. Just curious....

Julie

5. jicksies

jicksies Boxer Booster

Hi again Julie! I've never thought about showing them mostly because I don't know what the heck i'm doin! lol..I just never thought about it...Until recently...I thought maybe the first step would be to get involved in breeding..one step at a time i guess...I've also been too busy to really focus on it but more and more it interests me...especially Agility -Booder is a major "leaper" -he looks like a deer when we're out in the field and I let him run free...he's beautiful to watch. Maybe someday I will show them...my husband and I are raising two teen boys...a handful so when they're raised maybe I would consider it. We just bought seven acres out in the country and are building a log home (our dream) and I have thought once I'm out there I can really focus on getting involved in showing and breeding. Will see what the future holds...Anyway...will watch Booder's cowlick lol and his pinhead...maybe its a good thing, maybe not...Have u looked at my pics of Booder here on the website...see for yourself how pinheaded he is! lol...Anyway, thanks for the quick response...goin out the door now with Barley...workin on his social skills...and the Gentle Leader approach...have a good day julie!

6. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

See, that just shows how different people are. For me, I figured the first step would be to show, then breed :) Of course, I also have a very close relationship with my breeder, and we got a show bitch from her that she was no longer showing, but we decided to enter her here and there to get our feet wet. The breeder also handles my dogs, because I certainly don't know what I'm doing (yet!) in that area ;) She's threatening to retire, though, so I've either got to learn how to handle or start making lots more money so I can afford another handler.

Agility and obedience competition are next...maybe....

Seven acres in the country - wonderful! Have you thought about getting your boys involved in junior showmanship? Might be fun for them, and a good way to test the waters of showing. I wish I had known about it when I was young, since I'd certainly be comfortable in the ring now!

Anyway, good luck to you! I'll see if I can locate Booder's pictures :)

Julie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.