1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hubby won't let me have another

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by bxr_lvr, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bxr_lvr

bxr_lvr Boxer Booster

My old boss has a one and a half yr old male dark brindle boxer. He wants to GIVE him to me. He doesn't have time to spend with him because he works such long hours. The boxer is AKC and healthy. However.............my husband won't let me get him. He says he doesn't want another boxer. Probably because I want him so bad (some men are just contrary). So, here I sit dreaming about two boxers. Boo hoo!!! I've always wanted to have two - male and female. Maybe someday.........:rolleyes: :(

2. leenasmom

leenasmom Boxer Insane

Sorry that you can't get him, now. Your hubby will let you when he is ready, but I know how it is to want a second so bad. I hope that you will soon get another.

3. dan h

dan h Super Boxer

Sometimes, men respond better once the act is done. It's easy for us to say no because the 2nd boxer is not here yet and we don't have to commit to the responsibilities. But if you surprise him by bringing the 2nd boxer over, he will give in. Men are realists. It's all about right here and right now and the future is only as far as tomorrow. Women are more visionary, long term future, etc...

4. gidget1

gidget1 Completely Boxer Crazy

My husband didn't want the first boxer. But after the deed was done what could he say? You might explain the fact of how deprived the poor thing is. Maybe he'll give in.

5. BooBoo & Riley

BooBoo & Riley Completely Boxer Crazy

Suggestion

Maybe you can have your old boss drop of his Brindle for baby sitting for a weekend...you never know, it might just turn your hubby around...

6. diego's heart

diego's heart Boxer Insane

How true! Maybe you could disguise it as "fostering" or extended dog sitting duty (tee hee :D). Before your husband realizes it, the boy is part of the family!

Lisa

7. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

I think getting an animal is a commitment that needs to be made by both parties. There was recently a thread on the board about one partner of a relationship got another dog without the others permission and the dog is now being returned to the shelter although this was stated in the beginning that it wouldn't be an option and they would work through it. Getting a dog is a family and household commitment and a decision that needs to be made by both parties involved in order to ensure a life long and healthy situation at home AND for the dog as the dog has already been uprooted in it's life once. With that said, getting our second boxer was the best thing we ever did. There are several threads on the boards to this effect. I would recommend you doing a search on the board and finding these previous threads and printing them out for your hubby to read. Once he reads these, he may realize the benefits that he may not have considered before. Good luck.

8. BXRmum

BXRmum Boxer Booster

I just wanted to tell you that I too was apprehensive about getting a second boxer. I though it would be to much to handle, but it has turned out to be the exact opposite! Having two boxers is so much easier than having one! They play with each other instead of always needing my attention. They snuggle together for naps instead of laying right on top of me.

I agree that you and your husband both need to agree before you get a second dog, but I found two boxers to be more of a blessing than one :D

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

I would go with Minette, but there must be a good reason why your hubby doesn't want another dog just now. Talk about it.

10. bxr_lvr

bxr_lvr Boxer Booster

BXRmum - two are better than one, my thoughts exactly! I think that Emma would love to have a brother to run with and wrestle with and play with. And I would love to have another. I always wanted two boxers, boy and girl. :D

dan h - I wish this were so!!! :rolleyes:

Aimee - I agree, unfortunately. :(

I spent over two years waiting to get a boxer, reading and researching all about the boxer, and going to dog shows before I made the firm decision. I met our breeder at a dog show. So for two and a half years my husband didn't say a word while I did this. He even visited with the breeder and agreed with the decision. Now I believe that he never really wanted a boxer in the first place. Now he doesn't want Emma to lick him or even touch him. She absolutely adores him and he doesn't want anything to do with her. This all came about recently or maybe it's built up over the year and a half that we've had Emma. You should see her whenever he comes home! She gets so excited whenever she sees him. I just wish he could appreciate the affection she has for him.

So I ask him point blank if he doesn't want another dog or if he just doesn't want another boxer. He said he doesn't want another boxer. So, guess that puts a period to that idea. Maybe someday he'll come around and change his mind -- at least about how he feels about Emma. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.