How to tell the difference between a Cold and Kennel Cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrequentFlyr

Super Boxer
I think my dog has a cold. He has a runny nose and a terrible hack/dry heaving type of cough. At first I thought he had a raw hide bone stuck deep in his throat or belly by how he appeared to be trying to vomit "something" up. I called the vet thinking this, and was told to wait and see if he could bring it up or pass it himself. Now his nose is running (clear) and there seems to be less dry heaving and more very loud coughing.
How does the vet determine if its a cold or kennel cough. I have never experienced kennel cough and I'm not sure what the symptoms are or how to go about treating it. Is a vet visit a must do? Oh just a thought I feel foolish for even asking but my husband came down with the Flu this week could the dog have caught the flu from him?? And can a cold turn into Kennel Cough?

sledge

Boxer Pal
I had that problem with little oscar as well in the first few weeks i had him.It was cold and i had a cold as well at the time so thought he was just doing the same.He was normal during the day,but during the night he'd wake up constantly and have a weaping cough(i thight there could have been something stuck as well)runny green boogers as well.Anyway i did go to the vets cos iot went on for a few days and he got all checked up,he was in fine condition and also his temperament hadn't changed so the vet said to keep an eye on him and if his mood does change then bring him back.he kept on like this for a few days more so i called his breeder and she said immediately that it was kennel cough.Go get some cough medicine(vicks44 i used) in him(follow childrens portions)and try keep him warm and not run about too much.
So i did this(bit of a two person job after his first dose!)and the first night he was much better,not as much coughing.about two or three days later he was fine.
Maybe similar or totally different but thought i'd share that for you.
Hope he get s better soon.

Bama Belle

Boxer Buddy
Belle's cough

I found this thread after doing a search for "cough". My Belle has had a dry cough for a few days and she also looks like she is trying to vomit up something in her throat when she coughs. Yesterday morning it sounded like she had pure congestion in her chest when she coughed and it was a "wet" cough. Her nose does run sometimes and it has been clear. She is eating okay and playing okay. When she had her third round of shots 5 days ago, I told the vet about it and he took her temperature before giving the shots. She did not have any fever so she received her third round of puppy shots. She is still coughing today and it's been five days. I didn't know about Kennel Cough being just a cold so I was relieved to learn that. We have had a full week of rain and cold weather so hopefully she is going to be okay soon. If she's not better after this weekend, I am taking her back to the vet for him to check her out again. I wondered if the weather can cause colds or do dogs get them from viruses from other dogs or even human people? My husband and I have not been sick nor has Belle been around other dogs this week at all. The sun is shining today so hopefully she will be better this weekend. Is the Vicks cough syrup for children really okay?? Has anyone ever heard of something called a "reverse sneeze" -- kinda a wheezing type sound that some dogs do once in a while??

Last edited:
Bama Belle -

Yep. A reverse sneeze is just another way for a dog to clear their nasal passages and sinus - very much like how humans snort inward. Nothing to be alarmed about just how pups clear their passages.

Colds and KC are usually viral, just like in humans, and can be contracted at the vet if exposed to the virus (the shot only protects against a few of hundreds of strains). Just make sure she stays hydrated and keep her warm, she should be good as new in a few days. Hope she feels better very soon.

:)

LUVmyTYTON

Boxer Pal
Kennel Cough

I got my boy from a rescue last weekend. He kept coughing and his nose was really runny so we took him to the vet Monday morning. She put him on some meds for kennel cough and told us to give him Benadryl for his runny nose. It seems to help him a little and the cough has pretty much gone away. But it definately takes it awhile. Poor guy seems so miserable. Hope your boy is feeling better soon.

jen929rr

Boxer Buddy
My buddy was coughing/hacking and a bit of foamy phlegm was coming up, so I decided to take him into the vets. They did chest Xrays and determined he has bronchitis. So now he is on antibiotics and Benadryl. Poor pup, I know how bad I feel when I am sick. He has all my sympathy with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.