1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start showing

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by chickie1, Feb 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickie1

chickie1 Boxer Buddy

How do you start showing your little precious ones. My girls just produced a fawn/ full flash with champion backgrounds
    I am planning on showing one or two of them but dont know how to get started.

any help would be appreciated

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

The best way is to find a mentor. Apparently you aren't showing your girl, but perhaps the stud dog owner can help you? I'm assuming that you plan to handle the dogs yourself.

If you can't find any show breeders in your area who will help you out, there are some books you can get (actually, I'd recommend the books anyway).

Show Me! A Dog Show Primer (don't know the author offhand, the cover has a Golden with a BIS ribbon)

Tricks of the Trade by Pat Hastings

Born to Win by Patricia Craige Trotter

The Winning Edge by George Alston

The book by Jane Forsythe, can't remember the name

These are all good general showing books. Also, The World of the Boxer by Rick Tomita (of Jacquet Boxers) has a lot of good Boxer-specific information on grooming and showing.

Most are available at amazon.com or dogwise.com, or maybe sitstay.com Jane Forsythe's book might be out of print, but your library may have it. Rick Tomita's book, if it's not at the other stores, is available through his pet supply store, JB Wholesale (jb-pet.com)

Find out where there are matches and start going to those. Most allow pups from 4 months, some from 2 months. Contact your local Boxer club, some of them put on matches and they may be able to give you the names of breeders who can help you. Watch every dog show on TV that you can - pay close attention to the handlers in group and BIS - they know what they're doing! Also, most dog training clubs offer drop-in conformation classes. They are more for the dogs than for you, so if you don't have a chance to practice before you go you might want to let the instructor know.

Good luck!

Julie

3. chickie1

chickie1 Boxer Buddy

thanks, I do know a handler. and about rick, I personally dont care for him. I find him rude and obnoxious.
    I will check into the local club, but I doubt there is one by me. they are usually all up north.

thanks again

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

If you know (and can afford) a handler that's probably the way to go at first - unless you want to do it yourself, it's really up to you. Hiring someone to handle for you is less stressful IMO, but you may be different :)

As for Rick - regardless of how you feel about him personally, it is an excellent book (and the sections I was referring to are not written by him, if that makes you feel better ;) )

Even if there isn't a local Boxer club, there may be a dog training club or kennel club nearby.

Julie

5. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Showing

I also second the suggestion to attend some shows and have a handler evaluate your Boxer. If they believe they have the potential, you can hire them to show your dog and also to help explain the process. You mentioned that your dog had a Champion pedigree. Do I assume that would be in the first or 2nd generation? Hopefully so and that is also where you can go for help. Show breeders always want their best to be shown and such a true breeder will help you if you have Grandkids out of their wonderful Champion dogs. If you bred your bitch to an AKC Champion then that person would be more than happy to help you start showing. As a stud owner myself I know I help handle pups out of my champion male all the time. Right now I am handling a grandson of his.

Also, join a local Boxer club so you can make good show contacts with qualified show breeders. They can help you.
    Good luck!

6. uno

uno Boxer Pal

Chickie1,

Have you contacted the NJ Boxer Club yet? Its web address is http://www.net/hp/njbc/index.html. Its president is a gentlman by the name of Pete Gallagher, and he's located not too far from you, in Tinton Falls. He owns Flasfire Boxers.

I haven't had reason to be in contact with either him or the club, but I would imagine that one of the responsibilities of the president would be to help people such as yourself.

By the way my family and I also aren't too far away either. We're in Hazlet.

7. uno

uno Boxer Pal

8. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Pete Gallagher

Pete is a wonderful guy who is an avid owner-handler. But I still say your best bet is to go to the show breeder that bred your dog and have them help you. No show breeder will turn down an owner of one of their show quality puppies. I have a very close relationship with anyone that purchases a true show prospect puppy from me so I can help them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.