1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal nondog people?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Amsangels, Aug 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amsangels

Amsangels Boxer Pal

HELP!! I run a bed and breakfast with my family and my extented family seems to think it is their business to tell me that I don't need or should want to have another boxer in the house.My dogs don't bark when they are in the house. don't let them in the kitchen when I'm preparing breakfast.Most of the time my guests don't even know I ahve dogs unless i tell them.They are amazed when i do tell them.It's a big house and i don't let them up front where the guests are except when the house is empty Zoe likes to sit on the front porch on a chase lounge for her afternoon tea and crumpets.She lays on it like a lion and acts like she owns the place.She watches all the action on front street.The people strolling down the street think it's hysterical.She doesnt see whats so funny. Anyway I cant seem to get it through their skulls that i like to have dogs.They dont nag me,or tell me what i should be doing .they just love me for me!!!
    I wish they would just mind their own business.When they come over I feel like I have to hide my babies.Of course I hide with them!! And then they wonder why i don't want to be with them.They are like my children.I have been trying to get pregnant and having my boxers has taken alot of the pressure off of it.Anybody else have this problem and what do you do??

2. Marlin

Marlin Boxer Pal

They are your "kids", I feel you should do with them as you want. It sounds like they are not any trouble for your guests, so why not!! There are a lot of people out there who are not "pet folks" and thats their opinion wether we like it or not. If they don't like your "kids" then they don't have to come visit!!
    Also remember though that a lot of people are allergic!
    Marlin
    ------
    Lady 1/1/91 Fawn Black mask
    Hoss 1/1/91-8/13/00 Waiting for me at the bridge

[This message has been edited by Marlin (edited 08-14-2000).]

3. Robyn

Robyn Completely Boxer Crazy

Just recently, my family and I tried to go to Cape May N.J. If you want to go there to stay, you have to stay in a B and B because there is no where else. We found this very exciting because we had never stayed in one. Unfortunately, out of the 20 I contacted, only one would take children under 12!!! My husband and I have 4 year old twins. Also, most of them had live in pets which is a problem for me because I am very allergic to cats(causes a systemic reaction not just sniffles and watery eyes)and also allergic to dogs(not nearly as severe, I can deal with this :) ). I personally would have loved to stay in a B and B with a Boxer or two! Sounds like you run it very professionally and take the dog into consideration at the proper times. I really think most people can not understand the bond you can have with a boxer. They are so childlike. My husband and I went through two years of infertility treatment and I swear Mugzy was a HUGE comfort to me during that time. He WAS my baby!!!!

Good Luck!

------------------
    Robyn
    Cooper, 5-11-99
    Red fawn, neutered male, floppy and docked
    http://hometown.aol.com/mnrbedsaul/myhomepage/pet.html
    Mugzy, fawn, neutered male, cropped and docked rainbow bridge Sept. 98

4. tedjax

tedjax Completely Boxer Crazy

My two boxer babies are my children. My friends don't understand why on Friday nights, I would rather stay home...when I try to explain to them that the babies have been home all day, they just roll their eyes! It used to bother me, but not anymore. I don't roll my eyes at them when I want to go somewhere and they have to stay home with their kids!!! Just take it all in stride and do what's best for you and you family. I would love to go on vacation and stay at a place with built in boxers!

------------------
    Trish
    Indy-Neutered, Natural, Fawn, Flashy-10/6/98
    Beauty-Spayed,Cropped, Fawn, Black Mask-9/20/94; Adopted from rescue in New Orleans
    Shiloh-10/18/85 to 10/14/98; Waiting for me at the Bridge

5. bxr_lvr

bxr_lvr Boxer Booster

I would also remind the non-dog people that the boxers live there and they don't (but tell them in a nice way). It doesn't bother the paying customers, so I wouldn't worry about it! :)

------------------
    Lori
    Emma - black-masked brindle girl, 04-03-00

6. Amsangels

Amsangels Boxer Pal

Thank you all so much!!I wish I could tell them not to visit but they are family and my parents own this house .They come up on the weekends to help and the other members of the family always show up.My parents don't really mind the dogs.My dad takes zoe for walks and my mom buys them treats to her they are grandma and grandpa.I got zoe after I recovered from a difficult kidney transplant.She was such a comfort to me when I was feeling down.She was there when i needed her and I would never let them come between that.I have figured out away to get back alittle.When they come over they always expect some of my baked goods.Now I only bake for the guests in the morning and my furbabies.But I try to be fair,I let my uncle try a liver brownie the other night!!
    I wish you could have seen his face when he was trying to say how good they were!!!hehehe!!!!!!!The dogs were alittle mad that i was giving their dessert away but It was worth it!!!

7. Amy Lyn

Amy Lyn Super Boxer

It sounds as if you are very responsible with your pets and that it isn't effecting your business at all.

We too have family (my in-laws) who are certainly not dog people (or pet people for that matter). I understand what you are going through. They don't understand that our Boxer is like our child and never will but that is okay. We came to accept that and also accept that we would have to reduce the time spent in their company. They realized this and are trying very hard to come to terms with having kids who have dogs in their lives. You can see them trying so hard, but you know deep down inside they are just freaking out!

Anyhow, you just be you and love your dog the way you always will. Don't let anyone else make you feel uncomfortable about it. It doesn't sound like you are pushing your dog on anyone, rather like you are being very responsible, so I don't think your family has any reason to be like this.

We too are trying to get pregnant for the first time so good luck to you on that, we know what you are going through!

------------------
    Amy Lyn
    Wagner (Fawn, black mask) b: 04/25/00
    Clark (Fawn, black mask) b: 03-11-99 (Rainbow Bridge 05-06-00)

8. Jennifer -Pharaoh's Mom

Jennifer -Pharaoh's Mom Guest

SCREW THEM!!!! Get another one! Two are soooo much more fun than one. If you have guests that like dogs, and your boxer is friendly with strangers, let her out and meet these people. They are GREAT conversation starters, amusers, and lift the mood of everyone. More than likely, these people will start to ask question about the breed....a perfect time to educate strangers to the Boxer breed. Some may even fall in love with the breed (isn't that how it happened for most of us?).
    Heck, invite those friends of yours to stay at your place for a few days and watch her antics. They'll soon learn to love her too.
    Jennifer :)

------------------
    Pharaoh/Fawn/Black Mask
    Born 9-8-96

www.geocities.com/jemjen24

For the "BOXERWORLD REG'S" PAGE ...CLICK THIS LINK...

www.geocities.com/jemjen24/boxerworldregs.html

Here you can see the Boxerwold REG's with their families and dogs

9. boxernutt

boxernutt Boxer Pal

My husband and I have also not been able to coceive a baby. So we just like you don't have any skin children. Harley and Hunter are our kids. I grew up with animals and as a resuly all four of my siblings have pets. Very spoiled ones at that. My inlaws are great people but are not animal lovers. They have to adjust a bit when they come stay with us. I just don't let the dogs get into their face. They like them and always comment how well behaved the are and good dogs. My husband also had to be converted to an animal lover. I am very successful. He can't emagine coming home from work and not seeing the kidneybean dance to greet him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.