1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to bring in a new dog into the family?

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by TinksDream, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

As I've posted recently in other areas I have been thinking about getting another dog. I have never had more that 1 dog at a time. Tinkerbell is about 18 months now. My question is, how do I safely bring in a brother or sister for Tinkerbell? I would prefer to get a dog that is about 1 or older. I know I should introduce them in neutral territory and keep them apart until they can be trusted when I am not there. I am just worried we will adopt a dog that once we are all home won't be quite right.
    Tinkerbell is VERY friendly so it proably won't even be an issue. My brother has 2 dogs that he brings over and we leave the 3 of them at the house alone sometimes and everything has always been fine even though 1 of his is kinda grumpy and doesn't always like Tinkerbell's insistant playing :)

2. Terriedogs

Terriedogs Boxer Buddy

Well, first let me say that I don't have boxers. My son has a boxer mix that is living with me. I have always had golden retrievers and they are, by nature, very mellow creatures. But, I'm one of those people that dogs "find". I think there is a doggie sign outside my door because dogs just come here when they're in need of medical care and food and a loving home. I don't keep the dogs, but I have been really lucky at finding their owners or new homes. So there has been a revolving door of new dogs at my door.

I had two male brothers. When they grew up they fought for dominance. Once Alpha was established, the fighting stopped. Any time you bring two dogs of the same sex together, you're going to have the fight for dominance. It's their nature to have order. In my opinion, two females are much harder than two males. It sounds like you have a female, by her name. I wouldn't get another female. I'd get a male.

Pack order is so important. The Alpha bitch, it seems, is higher than the alpha male. She eats first and the males back off. At least, that's what I have observed here. My alpha male is my retriever. He's not territorial and has no problem with me bringing new dogs into his space. My alpha female was open to males coming in, but females she would eventually fight.

I hope I helped. Also, I would try to get a puppy if I were you. Females take to puppies and she'll teach him his manners right away.

3. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

I've heard that before about the female female relationship. I'm not completely sure how Tink would do with that but when we go to the dog park she seems do better with the other females more so than the males. I think it's b/c she doesn't like other dogs to sniff her butt and some of the males just won't give up (she is spayed, so I know she's not in heat when that is happening). But I will keep that in consideration.
    I'm really not too sure about getting a puppy even though I just want to eat up those little boxer puppies. I'm not sure about the potty training again. I just bought my house this year and have all new furniture and new carpet upstairs where we all sleep including Tink. If I did that I would have to try and get Tink and the pup to sleep downstairs together where there isn't any carpet.
    I guess I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Maybe just wait a little until I don't feel so indecisive and know what is right for out family.
    Thanks for the advise :)

4. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

Personally, I would go with an adult male. Tink hasn't quite reached her maturity yet, and those female dogs she likes to play with are not sharing her home. You might get a completely different reaction from her in different circumstances. Yes, there are females that live together peacefully, but for the most part, female-female pairs are not recommended.

As far as choosing your new dog, if you work with a reputable rescue, they'll do the work for you. A volunteer with meet you and Tink and evaluate your needs (as opposed to your wants) and make sure you get matched to a compatible dog. Some of the better shelters will do the same, especially the no-kill facilities.

Make sure Tink is ready for a new dog in the house. Has she been through basic obedience? Do you trust her in new situations? How is her recall and 'leave it' command? Does she mind sharing your attention with anyone (human or animal)? If she's not ready, then hold off until she is.

In the 2+ years I have been involved in rescue, I think the most dog-friendly dogs have been those who came out of puppy mills. They need socialization with people and the outside world, but are almost always fine with other dogs.

Ask whatever rescue you decide to work with if they have a foster-to-adopt program. That allows you to basically 'try-out' the dog while you see if it's a good fit. If it's not, you continue to foster until the dog is adopted, then try another.

This link is some very basic info on bringing a new dog home and preparing for it.
    http://www.adoptaboxerrescue.com/About_Boxers/Training/BringingYourDogHome.htm
    There are a ton of resources out there. Read as many as you can and talk to the rescue (they may even connect you to other adopters) about your concerns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.