1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old to microchip

Discussion in 'Choosing A Puppy' started by Ozarksparrow, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Hi all, I will be getting a puppy at the end of May and I have never raised a boxer from younger than a year old before. I've done a lot of reading up on preparing my home, I found a reputable breeder who does a ton of tests on her dogs, has champions in the recent pedigree and has puppies from a past litter who have championed. Now, I have reserved a puppy 6 months ago and she recently contacted me to let me know that one of her dogs is bred now and I am getting my home together to receive the pup in May. I was wondering though, how old should I get my puppy micro-chipped at? I know it is a random question and it is really early to be asking this since my pup hasn´t even been born, but I really want to have everything together and be prepared for all the expenses that I need to deal with when I bring pup home. I am very excited about him. I couldn´t figure out where to post this, so I picked the likeliest forum area I found. Sorry if it is in the wrong spot. Thanks for any advice.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

You can pretty much do it at any age.

When Tara came home at 8 weeks, she had been already chipped. A lot of people will wait until their puppy is put to sleep when they are neutered. Then it is a little less painful for the puppy.

Congratulations on your future puppy. You must be very excited. May will be a great time to get a puppy!

I would highly recommend that you download this free book:
    BEFORE You Get Your Puppy | Dog Star Daily You also might want to also get: After you get your puppy, both are by Dr. Ian Dunbar and are great reads. Another book to read would be Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. It will help you realize how your puppy thinks.

Good luck!

3. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

How exciting!
    I look forward to enjoying all your up-and-coming puppy pictures! You see, part of your expenses will be a good camera and all the time it will take to upload photos - so be sure to add that into your plan. I have to live vicariously though someone. LOL.

I don't do the puppy thing myself. hahaha. I've been stuck with the troublesome teens or the sedate seniors - and I love every minute of it. :)
    My guy now is approx 2years old (adopted from boxer rescue at approx 1yr). My past four were seniors (8y, 9, 11, 8.5) by the time they came into my life.

4. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

You can do it right away if you want! It is becoming common for breeders to microchip the litter before they go to their new homes, too.

As Jan said people usually wait until their dog is anesthetized for their spay/neuter which is typically done at around 6 months old. No real reason other than comfort for the dog. They don't HAVE to be asleep for it. It's a pretty gigantic needle, although honestly I've microchipped tons of awake dogs (and cats!) and they hardly seem to notice. I think it bothers me more than them. :p

Congrats on the pup :)

5. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Ok, thank you all for the advice. I will definitely be getting those books to read. I've raised many a other breed puppy but never a boxer pup. My current dog, a female rat terrier was the first one I ever had chipped and she was 8 months old when I got her. I really appreciate the advice.

6. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Oh, there will definitely be lots of puppy pictures coming. I have been saving to get a really good camera too as I plan to take lots and lots of pictures of my pup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.