1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often to worm

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by busters mum, Nov 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busters mum

busters mum Super Boxer

Just another question. How often should I be worming Buster? I currently give him Drontal plus every 3 months. However a freind , who doesnt even bother to worm hers at all( small mongrel) said this is too often?

2. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Doesn't your vet do a fecal check? We don't worm dogs here unless they HAVE worms. I have not heard of worming on a regular basis. I'd check into a second opinion if I were you. Seems truly unnecessary to me if the dog isn't suffering from worms.

JMHO

3. busters mum

busters mum Super Boxer

I have spoken to my vet and told her which brand I was using. I told her I planned to repeat his initial puppy dose after 3 months. Maybe there was a breakdown in communication? Im confused now.

4. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Does your dog presently have worms? Has he been diagnosed with worms recently and under treatment currently? I'm confused.

If the dog doesn't have worms there is no need to give him medicine for worms. I personally have never heard of giving anything except heartworm medication yearly for worms. And I only give heartworm meds to my dogs during the 'mosquitoe season' when heartworm carrying mosquitoes may infect the dogs. But the heartworm meds are pretty standard in the US. Other worm meds are not necessary unless the dog is currently infected with pin worms, or other worms.

5. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

A lot of people do worm on a regular basis, but I'm with Dan - I can't for the life of me understand it. It's like putting your arm in a cast every so often, just in case there's a break you don't know about....

Have a fecal done - if it shows there are worms, then give the wormer. Otherwise, it's completely useless.

6. tanya22

tanya22 Super Boxer

Maybe dogs are different than horses as regard to worms. We worm our horses 4 x a year. Prevention is the key as worms cause colic, organ damage, weight loss and hair irratations to name a few.
    The heartworm prevention also has a dewormer in it. I give that monthly to the dog. I would get an opinion from your doctor.
    Preventative medicine is NOT the same as putting a cast on a healthy limb. It is more like taking calcium so you have strong bones and are less likely to break yor arm. IMHO.

7. catneon

catneon Completely Boxer Crazy

I have to respectfully disagree, we are not talking about taking a supplements, ie vitamins or calcium to complement nutrition, build a stonger immune system etc...
    We are talking about medecine. Views do vary greatly on this I agree but, if you prefer, it is like taking antibiotics every month in case you get sick.... adding that there are also great natural alternatives for prevention. My 2 cents!

Catherine
    (just to clarify I am talking about dogs, I have no knowlegde of horses)

8. tanya22

tanya22 Super Boxer

I think the bottom line is what is more harmful, getting worms or taking the preventative. I do not claim to know but I would investigate before I left my dog unprotected.

9. douma

douma Boxer Insane

Here, all vets suggest worming every 3 months and they use Drontal plus too; but i wouldn't worm Avra without reason and i havn't done it for 2 years now

Sophia

10. busters mum

busters mum Super Boxer

Well, Buster has not had a problem with them I was doing it as a precautionary measure and thought I was being responsible especialy with having children.
    Busters breeder used natural methods for her dogs, such as garlic and I did carry this on with Buster as she had started him with it mixing a little in his food, but he went off it and wouldnt eat much with it .
    On reading your posts some have IMHO I do not know what this means can you tell me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.