1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Amiee, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Amiee

Amiee Boxer Pal

My beautiful baby Mia will turn 2 in March. Right now she is 22 inches tall and weighs around 45 pounds. She eats Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast, 1 1/2 cups at lunch and 1 1/2 cups at dinner.

My mom keeps commenting that she's too skinny, but I think she looks fine! Boxers are supposed to be lean, they're athletic dogs! How much do your babies weigh and how much do you feed?

Thanks in advance! <3

Attached Files:

2. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

OMG I loved your photo. Your baby looks great! We feed Daisy a little over a cup with a tablespoon of yummies twice a day. She of course gets her treats. She weighs 52 pounds and looks wonderful. She is almost 18 months old.

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

As long as you can see no more than 3 ribs, her weight is fine. Boxers should look lean.

Gatorblu likes this.
  4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

She sure is a cutie! I think she looks good. As Jan says seeing a few ribs is fine. You shouldn't see her spin or hip bones, but you should see muscle.

5. Bathel

Bathel Super Boxer

Just to add to the above... my little girl is 2 1/2 and she get's anywere from 3 to 4 cups per day of Orijen's Six Fish (450 kcals per cup) and some treats... she normally doesn't finish all her food and she is VERY VERY VERY active. She is 45 lbs and has a hard time keeping weight on. My girl is a bit ribby... but I expect her to fill out a bit more when she slows down a bit. We don't restrict her diet... but she just doesn't eat more than 4 cups in a day and sometimes won't even eat 3 cups. We weigh her weekly and as long as she's not losing weight, I don't worry about it. Each pup can be different, but from looking at your picture... she seems fine to me.

BTW, is that 22" to her shoulder (withers) or to the top of her head... she doesn't look that tall in the picture, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

6. Amiee

Amiee Boxer Pal

Thanks everyone! I think she is perfect and will fill out soon. She is a VERY active little gal!

She is 22 inches tall at her shoulders :)

7. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

People are just not used to seeing dogs at a healthy weight. :) When my family was over on Christmas I got SO MANY comments about my dogs being too thin and I need to feed them more blah blah blah. I won't deny that my guys could comfortably gain a pound or 2, but it's not necessary, and I would much rather see a dog be a pound underweight rather than a pound overweight.

Seeing ribs and feeling spine is okay, they should be lean and muscular. :) Juno's last weight was about 47 pounds and she eats 3-3.5 cups a day of Earthborn Adult Vantage. She's almost 6 years old but manages to need more food now than she did when she was younger!

8. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

We feed Rocky 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening of Victor. He runs A LOT and is incredibly active. He is 78 pounds of lean muscle. The vet says he's in outstanding shape and his weight is good. His parents were both very large but overweight so we knew Rocky would be bigger, but he's certainly far from overweight. I'm no expert in how much to feed so we just chose a high quality food, followed the guidelines on the bag and watch him for signs that it's too much or too little food based on his activity level at the time.