1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much should a male boxer weight?

Discussion in 'Canine genetics and heredity issues' started by nicole12, May 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole12

nicole12 Boxer Buddy

Our male boxer Titan is almost 8 months old and he weights 58 pounds...does this seem small for a male? Our female boxer is 1 1/2 years old and she weights 58 pounds...we were hoping Titan would be at least 75. My husband and I would just like to know how old is your male boxer and how much did he weight around 8 months old.

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I haven't kept charts on my puppies but I know my 10-month old is nowhere near 58 lbs. - he was probably around 42-45 lbs. at 8 months. However, Boxers aren't fully mature until 2-3 years old (in my line of boys it's closer to 3) so he's got a long way to go. There are no weights given in the US standard, only heights, but I'd say 75 lbs. is near the top of the scale in most countries. I wouldn't worry about how big he'll be when he grows up, just enjoy him :) He'll weigh as much as he's supposed to weigh (provided you feed him correctly!)

When their bones are growing (until about 18-24 months), it's far better for them to be slightly underweight - an overweight puppy puts tremendous strain on growing bones and can cause serious problems later in life.

3. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Nicole, for a general idea take a look at his parents.

Julie, I thought the AKC standard gave estimated weights. I thought it was anywhere from 50 lbs (female) up to 7? lbs (male) but that it states weight isn't much of a factor as long as everything is in balance.

4. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

My male is on the large size, at 87.5 pounds at a lean weight. He's very muscular. Actually, I got him neutered last week, so he's probably down to 87 even. ;)

5. Eddie's  mom

Eddie's mom Guest

Boxers come in all sizes, big and small! Definitely look at his parents. My Eddie is only 53 Lbs.

6. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

No, the AKC standard does not mention weight at all. The FCI standard does, which is what most of the European countries follow. I'm not sure about Canada, although I'm guessing it does not, or Australia and the UK. (And I'm too lazy to look them up right now!! ;))

Actually, weight was not in the original US 1902 standard, was added in the 1938 revision, and was dropped in 1968. If you've never seen Har-Vel Boxer's pages on the Evolving Boxer Standard, I highly recommend them!

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/9666/Standard.html

7. RamsesMom

RamsesMom Boxer Booster

My Ramses is 9 months old..or close to it, he was rescued. He weighs about 60-65 lbs and he is tall and thin. I think your boy is right up there. They grow fast so give him time and he will be 70 lbs and think he's 3 lbs before you know it!

8. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Interesting...I'll have to find where I seen weights stated at, maybe it was on a breeders website. I'll check out the web site also.:)

9. jdella1

jdella1 Boxer Pal

Our male boxer is 8 1/2 months old now and he weighs about 65 lbs. So it sounds like they are about the same size. Our dog was one of the largest in the litter though. The vet told me that he would most likely be about the size of the parents but if it was one of the larger puppies in the litter, he could be slightly larger. Most people tell me he'll probably be between 75-85 lbs. Also most people say that the males don't fill out until about a year of age and do not reach their full weight until almost 2 years of age.

10. hdrider961

hdrider961 Boxer Pal

Our 8 month old male just weighed in at 62lbs and our 19 month old weighed in at 70. Seems to be right on track with the other replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.