1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much food should we feed our dog?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by tAnKrOxX, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tAnKrOxX

tAnKrOxX Boxer Pal

We have been feeding him a full bowl of dog food once a day. Just a standard size bowl. We started feeding him 3x a day as a puppy, then went to 2x a day and now we settled on one time a day usually around 2pm.

My girlfriend was thinking we might be underfeeding our dog. He is going to be 1 year old on December 28th.

Please let me know how much food we should be feeding out dog, perhaps in lbs?

Thank you,

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

How much you should feed is totally dependent upon *what* you feed... there is NO standard amount that applies to all dog food. For example, one kibble brand might contain 500 calories per cup of food, whilst another has only 250. It should be quite clear that you'd need to feed less of the higher calorie food than the lower calorie one.

And even aside from straight calories, all dog food brands are not created equal. Some are far higher in meat content and other high(er) quality ingredients, whilst some others may be as low as 4% in meat content, and instead full of "empty" calories coming from grains and other junk food.

LOL- I think you can pretty well see that there is no way to answer your question with some standard amount of food for a dog that size. It would vary by a HUGE margin depending on what food you choose to feed her (e.g. you might need to feed only 2 cups a day of a high quality kibble, but might be feeding 6-8 cups daily of a low quality one).

The best initial guide on amount will come from the kibble packaging - it will tell you a range for a dog of his age and size. That is a *starting point* from which you should adjust upward or downward a bit to suit the individual dog (nobody is average!), his activity level, etc.

3. tAnKrOxX

tAnKrOxX Boxer Pal

Thank you for your response. The type of dog food we use is the one from Costco, Kirkland brand. I believe it is chicken and vegetables (its the purple package).

Our dog is active, i go jogging with him no less that 2x a week and take him to the dog park every Sunday (when we can) with the casual walk here and there.

He will be turning 1 year on the 28th and here is a few recent pictures and please let me know if he looks thin or just about right.

Picasa Web Albums - Carlos - First Day Wit...

Picasa Web Albums - Carlos - First Day Wit...

and one for fun

Picasa Web Albums - Carlos - Messing Around

4. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I would also suggest that you revert back and continue to feed TWICE a day....for life.
    Feeding twice a day can help your dog on many levels. Helps to keep sugar levels in check. Helps to eliminate "empty belly syndrome" and associated nausea/vomiting that can occur (especially in Boxers as they tend to have digestion issues at times).
    Can help alleviate them eating too fast and problems resulting from doing so.
    Think of it in these terms.....how do you feel physically when you only eat once per day?
    When you do get to eat you might tend to eat really fast since you are extremely hungry. You might feel bloated, get gassy or generally feel unwell due to eating that way.
    Same goes for dogs. Just determine how much you need to feed for his size and energy levels, then split that amount between two meals. Breakfast and dinner perhaps.
    You may need to adjust the amount fed for a while to get the portions right. If he isn't gaining weight (he should be slowly at his age while still growing), then you need to add more. If he is gaining TOO much weight and losing the Boxer look you need to take away some food from each meal. Your vet will be able to tell you how he is doing size wise. The packaging of the food will have suggested feeding guidelines based on weight. Start there and then see what happens. Take into account how many treats he is getting on average during the day as well as any other food he may be getting (people food/table scraps, etc...).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.