how long till housetrained

Status
Not open for further replies.

TysonMeade

Boxer Pal
I have a twelve week old male puppy who is not even close to being housetrained (which I completely expected), but am wondering about everyone else's experiences about what age their puppies were when they were pretty much fully house trained?

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane
Hurricane was 7 or 8 months old before he was 100%, not because he didn't understand the concept of peeing in the house is bad but because we had a really hard time teaching him to make noise to let us know he had to go out. :LOL: He would just go stand by the door, and if we weren't in the room to see him standing there, he would eventually just not be able to hold it anymore. Once we got him to understand he had to whine or come get us or something, no more worries! :)

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
It was also around 6 months for us. Yep, the last time he had an "accident" was right after hsi neuter but he was still drugged up so I don't hold that against him and he was exactly 6 months that day.

meyerclan

Boxer Buddy
He would just go stand by the door, and if we weren't in the room to see him standing there, he would eventually just not be able to hold it anymore. Once we got him to understand he had to whine or come get us or something, no more worries! :)

Brewski does this. How did you train him to make a noise or come get you.

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
Tyson was trained by about 5 or 6 months. He has done really well, except for a week of him being mischevious. But he hasn't had an accident for a long time. We got him to whine (he won't bark) by asking him if he wanted out and trying to get him to speak. He would only whine, so we gave him a treat then took him out. To this day, he won't bark to go out, he just comes to us and whines.

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane

We taught him to bark/whine on command, and then watched him like a hawk... when we saw that he had to go out, we would go to the door, ask him "Do you need to go outside?" and then tell him "Bark" and he didn't get to go out until he made noise. When he did bark and then go out to pee, MAJOR rewarding (think 8 week old puppy kind of praise/reward). Eventually, he caught on that he could save time and get to pee (and get his reward) much faster if he just barked first! :LOL: It took perserverance and time (several months) but he did get it finally. Now he rarely barks, and will actually come find us and stare at us and give this little peculiar whine noise (he doesn't do it for anything except potty).

tianthai

Completely Boxer Crazy
Twelve weeks and you expect your dog to be house-trained, that's a lot of expectation! Mine is house-trained by about 9 months. I really had doubt about him as everybody I met kept telling me that their 3-month old puppies were house-trained. It must be very special puppies so don't believe any of it. Being house trained for me means the dog can hold until he is let outside to do his business. Good luck with your pup!

Barron's mom

Completely Boxer Crazy
Zeus was house trained at 6 months. It really did take time and patience. You have some pretty unrealistic expectations of your puppy if you expect him to be house trained at 12 weeks. That is way too young, as you can now see from other posts. With that in mind, be patient with him and I promise he will get it. :)

Like everyone else suggested, hang and ring bells at the door before you go out with a command word, "Let's go outside" and "Do your business" once you are outside. Lots of praise when he "does his business." I occasionally used very small treats when he did what I wanted him to do. I also taught Zeus to bark, which he does when I am in the same room as him. Take him out within 15 minutes of eating and playing, and every 2 hours, if you are able.

Barron's mom

Completely Boxer Crazy

Hold your hand up as if you were saying hello to someone. Bring your four digits down to meet your thumb and keep moving the four digits up and down all the while saying "Speak" and letting out a bark. Hope that makes sense to you. Zeus caught on real quick to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.