1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long of a wait after eating for play

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by KELLY W, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KELLY W

KELLY W Super Boxer

I have read here that bloat is more likely to happen if the pup exercises after eating. How long after eating should we wait to take Muggsey for a walk? Sometimes after he eats, he sprints around the house like a maniac, is that bad? This whole subject just worries me. :(

2. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Boxer Pal

I am not sure how long you should wait, but I try to have Tobee relax for about a half hour after he eats. I also make him wait a while, before he drinks. I also have an elevated food dish for him. I read that was suppose to help.

3. MarleysMom

MarleysMom Guest

I'm interested, too.....

My 7 week old Marley does this every time he eats! It is so frustrating because I try to keep him calm & quiet for an hour after he eats, but he gets a huge burst of energy because of course he has to go potty after his meal and then he's ready to play! Almost daily he gets so excited after he eats, that he throws up :( It's usually just water, so I'm not too worried, yet. I am assuming that his little belly is just so full that when he starts running around, it causes him to urp up a little bit. The more I try to quiet him, the more excited he gets! Is this risky behavior? Will he grow out of it eventually - is it just a puppy thing?

Aaaahhh, the life with a Boxer!

4. myrocky

myrocky Boxer Insane

I tend to wait an hour after Rocks eats before we go about our play time :p If you crate train, you could always crate the puppy for about 1/2 hour to hour after eating to let him calm down a bit and take a break from all the puppy play LOL Give him a nice chewy and let him relax. Hard playing or exercise right before eating is not recommended either.

5. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Andie rocks!! Exactly my advice.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.