How long between neuter & playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
We have two male boxers - one that's just over a year and the other who is about 5 1/2 months. The younger one, Marley, was neutered on Monday. Right now we are keeping them separated, we don't want Marley to rip his stitches.

How long should we keep them apart? Both are crated trained, so they take turns being out. But, you can tell they miss playing with each other terribly. For example, Marley will ask to go outside (we have a bell he rings) and he'll wait by the back door for Justin to come out to play.

They 'play' so hard when they're together I'm really concerned it's too soon yet.

Any recommendations?
Cindy

Boxer_21

Boxer Insane
When we had Riley neutered, the vet advised us to try to keep him quiet for a week or so. Keeping a young boxer quiet was quite the challenge, but we somehow pulled it off!!

I'd say try to keep him quiet and not so active for about a week (at least a full work week). You can still walk him (obviously not a vigorous walk as he's still a young pup). I figured Riley wasn't getting to run around the yard so a nice walk couldn't hurt. That was one thing we did with Riley to try to burn off some energy without putting to much stress on him.

Another suggestion is to get both boys on the floor with someone else who can help and try to keep them laying down on the floor and lightly playing. That worked well with Riley, but then again he was an only boxer. Having two may be more of a challenge!! As I will find out in a couple of months when it's Mason's turn to have the job done.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think either know what quiet play is for longer than a few minutes when they're together. Even when Marley is out by himself, he's full of so much energy.

I figured we'd have to wait about a week, thanks for confirming it.

Cindy

I remember how difficult it was to keep Dukie quiet. He swelled up back there as if he'd had nothing removed because of his bounding around. I felt bad for him...had to lead around on a leash to keep qujiet.

harley03

Completely Boxer Crazy
Harley was just neutered on Friday

And it is such a challenge keeping him quiet.
He is just dying to play, I took away all the toys he has that gets him into crazy mode. and I have relied on rec bones for him to pass some time chewing and it has given us a chance to work on some fun tricks that keep him grounded. And he is on leash everytime we go outside, even to potty. I think he is getting very bored with it all and will be glad to get this week over with, I can't help but wonder how looney he will be when I can let him have full run of the yard again :confused: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.