1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I saved a puppies life

Discussion in 'Stories' started by delphine, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delphine

delphine Boxer Buddy

I figure I'll tell the story of how I got the little monster that is now overrunning my house with tiny hops and backtalk.

I had just lost my Husky of 10 years to intestinal cancer. It was like my heart was ripped right out of my chest. My FH said that I should start looking for another dog because I would heal faster if I had another dog to occupy my time. So, I went 2 days later to start looking for a doberman, which is what I had wanted for a very long time. I had found two and filled out applications with rescue groups and got approved for both of them. It was down to picking one of them. For some unknown reason I went down to the Humane Society and found nothing that sparked my interest. I then drove to the Metro Animal Services (city pound) and had them walk me through the kennels. Total shock compared to the HS, there are 4-5 dogs in a kennel, no beds, and very very loud. So, I'm walking up and down the rows looking at all these dogs and I see Buck. He's just sitting there in the cage with another brindle boxer chewing on his head. Funniest thing ever. I take him out of the cage and cuddle him. He immediately melted into my arms. It was the sweetest thing ever. It was like he belonged in my arms. I put him back in the cage where his cage mate began chewing on his head again hehe. Buck just looked at me like he knew me.

Now the hard decision came. FH was dead set on a dobe, I was torn between the dobe and Buck. Eventually it boiled down to MAS is a high kill, understaffed, overpopulated shelter. The dobes were in foster homes until they were adopted. I had to go with Buck. Buck costs me alot in vet bills in the begining but he is so worth it. The pluckiest happiest dog ever! Shadow my 10 year old LOVES him! She plays like she is 5 and Buck adores her so much.

I feel bad,so bad, for leaving all the other dogs in that place. The boxer that was left in the cage I feel horrible sometimes for not adopting. He was a full grown dog and the likelihood of him getting adopted are slim. But, I also saved a little puppies life that most people would have passed over because he had some health issues. I know I chose Buck for a reason, I haven't gotten over Chinook's death, but Buck sure as helped through the grief.

2. garvinsmum

garvinsmum Completely Boxer Crazy

Congratulations for saving Buck.

You can only do so much :( It is so very sad.

A life is a life and Buck has a happy one now. Glad it is all working out for you.

3. mybubbieroo

mybubbieroo Boxer Insane

I am sorry for your loss of Chinook, I am sure you did the right thing by getting Buck. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story!

4. lisasentous

lisasentous Boxer Insane

What a wonderful story.

5. crowpete

crowpete Boxer Insane

Congrats on your baby. You just have to remember you can only save one at a time and EVERYONE counts. Buck is forever greatful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.