How high (in feet) are your fences

Status
Not open for further replies.

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
We have a 4 foot wooden fence. Although we haven't had any problems with Megan with it as of yet, we are talking about a dog who scaled a 6 foot chain link fence when she was 4 months old.

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
Our fence is about 4-5ft. We are planning to put up a 6 foot privacy fence shortly (basically to block neighbors out). Our boxer has never even thought of jumping the fence. I would think 6ft is your best bet to be on the safe side.

Linda & Erik
Ginger * June 4, 1997
Flashy Fawn * Natural Earsqueenicon

Astoreen

Completely Boxer Crazy
Taller than me......so around 5'5" or 6'. One side is wood and then the other has chain link and we share that with our neighbors. She's not so much of an "over the fence" jumper just the "straight up and down" thing. She looks like a jumping bean! She's also conveniently worn an area of grass bare on our side of the chain link chasing the neighbors dogs back and forth trying to engage them in play. It doesn't look pretty there!!

Bosco'sMom

Super Boxer
Ours is 4 ft. chain link. Never had a problem with him trying to jump over it but he has tried to dig under it.

mrso97

Boxer Buddy
we have a six foot stockade with a five foot gate..im sure she could get over the gate if she wanted to...but why would she want to...she runs the house..good luck

JulieM

Boxer Insane
We have chicken wire now across the top of the 6-ft fence - it works quite well, actually. She can't get through it, and it's far enough out that she can't get to the top of the fence from as far back as she needs to be to get past the wire.

I just want the shelf because it's not quite as ugly as chicken wire, and I thought I could put some plants up there for some extra privacy ;) Plus there'd be nice shade then around the yard.

M

MollyMoose

The other day Molly climbed a 4' chain link fence with NO problem. Scared the heck out of me. All I can say is for anyone who is looking into a fence, I would not put up a chain link fence because their feet can get caught in the links, and if they come down with their foot caught, youre looking at possible broken bones or fractures. Wooden fence is the way to go.

KC

Super Boxer
I know I already posted here, but that's a good point Molly Moose - one that I forgot about. Chain link can be dangerous for a dog who will try to climb it. Mine used to stay in a chain link fence and Bailey actually got her JAW caught in it once and had to be rescued! She was barking and jumping up and down and somehow got caught. Who knows how? But, they can get their feet caught just by jumping against it. I'm sure I don't have to paint the picture of a dog who doesn't make it all the way over and lands on the top of the points of one of those fences . . . :(

Lots of dogs never have trouble with a chain link fence, but there is the possibility. So, if you have a choice - go wooden!

Status
Not open for further replies.