1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is it to look after a puppy?

Discussion in 'Choosing A Puppy' started by K-9 Boxer, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-9 Boxer

K-9 Boxer Boxer Pal

I'm on the list with a breeder to get a Boxer puppy, but today I was talking to this lady, and she said I should get a older dog because I don't have any experience. ( this will be my very first dog ) She said that puppys will go through your house and desroy EVERYTHING, and that inxperienced people shouldn't have them :(

I know that puppys are alot of work, and they need to be watched like a hawk, but are they really that bad?

I just wondered if any of you could give me an idea of what owning a puppy is like. :confused:

Thanks

Bernadette

2. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

Raising a puppy can be a very difficult time for an inexperienced person, but in saying that everyone has to start somewhere.
    The first step is you having come here and asked. :)
    Dont be put off getting a pup but you do need to know quite a lot to be able to make and informed decision.

Firstly make sure the pup comes from reputable breeders and is from health tested parents.
    All puppies need 3 or 4 meals a day of good quality foods, water , a warm bed and a safe environment to grow up in.
    Good strong fencing/ gates if you have a yard is vital, but these are mearly the basics of life.

There are many other things to consider such as lonliness and training.
    If you all work full time and the pup wont be getting to see anyone during the day, not only will it make toilet training near impossible it will be terrible for the pup mentally.
    This is not to say full time workers cant have a pup.
    There are agencies, doggie day care, neighbours or family who could come and assist.
    If you really want a pup get lots of advice from someone locally. Attend a puppy pre school at your vets and ask questions after class.
    Puppy owners just LOVE to talk about puppy things so its a great place to start.

Write a list of things you are concerned about and get puppy owners to share stories , good ....and bad ;)
    Having a puppy is a bit like having a baby. Its very demanding but very rewarding.
    Invite someone over with a puppy for the day and see what its like having a little one. Most pups can create mayhem but one look from those big brown eyes and you forgot what made you so mad! :LOL:

Course stick around here long enough and you will get lots of feed back about puppy raising or do a search.
    An older rescue dog can still be hard work, but it is equally rewarding giving a loving home to a previously unwanted dog too.

3. Boxer_21

Boxer_21 Boxer Insane

Riley was my first puppy and he was such an easy boy to look after. He never (ok - rarely) got into trouble. He didn't go around the house trying to destroy everything. He had very little "accidents" on the floor. He was basically, IMO a perfect puppy to start with.

Mason... well he's the opposite of Riley. If you're not paying full attention to him, he's very likely to go find something to get into. He's destroyed quite a few things (bags, boxes, shoes, etc.). Luckily, he's never bothered with the furniture, but other puppies do. He's had several "accidents" (which I know are my fault for not watching close enough) on the floor.

I guess what I'm saying is every puppy is different. In getting a puppy, you may get lucky and end up with a "great starter" like I did with Riley. Or, you may end up with a handful like my second boy Mason. IMO, you should prepare yourself for a puppy like Mason. One that will destroy things and get into mischeif on a regular basis. This because it could happen and it's better to be prepared for this than it would be to prepare for an easy to puppy to care for.

If you have a lot of patients and a good sense of humor and are willing to watch very closely (yes, they do need constant supervision) then I'd say you should be ok with getting a pup. If you're not good with dealing with stressful situations, than yes I would check into getting an older dog. Puppies do test you and you need to be able to handle it. Unfortunately, some people think they want a puppy and when they find out that it's to much work, they drop the puppy off at a shelter or rescue.

Here is a link with more info. You should check it out as it will help you to prepare yourself for a high energy, intelligent boxer puppy.

http://www.boxerworld.com/puppy/

Good luck
    - Mandy

4. harley03

harley03 Completely Boxer Crazy

Looking after our very first puppy, Harley, the first few weeks was very much like looking after a new born baby.
    Eyes had to be on him 100% of the time.
    He was a little stuborn to house train (even though we didn't let him out of our sight for about 3 weeks after he came home to us).
    Crate training was horrible. He hated the crate and cried like a banshee every time he went in there. His kennel was moved into our room two nights after his arrival and is still in our room 7 months later :p . I spent the first two weeks with his crate near the end of our bed and I slept at the bottom of the bed so I could watch/hear him all night.
    I don't know how many times we had to take the crate outside to hose down in the middle of the night because of late night accidents.
    We planed to get our puppy during the summer when we knew we would have plenty of time to spend with him (I was taking distance education courses at home so I could spend 24/7 with the new pup).
    But after all of this I wouldn't trade him for the world. He really is my little baby and all those long sleepless nights paid off. He really is a good boy.
    I think the main thing you should think about is do you have that much time to watch over a little 8 week old puppy? Are you willing to take late night potty breaks every 2/3 hours or more?? Are you willing to endure the sad cries of a small puppy being cratetrained?? Or the chewed up shoe you found when you came home (or when you let him out of your site for that matter) and the numerous potty accidents on your new carpet?? Another thing is vet visits and professional training?? Can you provide these for your baby??
    If the answers to these questions are all yes than I think you could handle a puppy.

Good Luck with your decision :)

5. sashamom

sashamom Boxer Insane

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!! They are a handful to say the least and need LOTS of attention! Sasha will disappear for a minute or so and we just know to prepare to shake our fingers at her....she can destroy a shoe in less than a minute...of course its our fault .....as we can never seem to puppy proof this house...Needless to say....she is worth every rotten thing she does ....stained carpet, chewed shoes, cable cords, pillow stuffing, ect....Love her more than I ever would have imagined!!
    Sasha and Lisa

6. K-9 Boxer

K-9 Boxer Boxer Pal

Thank you all sooo much, I feel much better now.
    I'll definitely have enough time for a puppy as I'm also taking a distance education course!
    Everything else you all said is just the kind of thing I expected from a puppy, so I think I'll be alright. :)

Thanks again.

Bernadette

7. catneon

catneon Completely Boxer Crazy

8. Lively

Lively Boxer Booster

Raising a pup has it's moments but the good outways the trying moments. My Kona didn't like to be left alone at all. Crate training was horrible. Several sleepless nights. I fortunatly had a job were I could take her with me. And when I couldn't the baby gate saved my carpet. Her teens were a little tough but worth it. Boredom created a taste for my husbands shoes and a little hole digging. I had never raised a puppy myself but read a lot of books and asked a lot of questions. I made sure that I was ready for the worst. I would and will do it over again.

Good luck

Ali

9. TONY & GEMMA

TONY & GEMMA Boxer Booster

Brando is our first dog and we got him as a puppy too. Everyone said the same thing - that puppy's were hard work - especially boxer puppies. We figured that he couldn't be any worse than my cousins lab puppy (who actually chewed a hole right through their kitchen wall into the next room), and we got him anyway.

It has been hard work - very hard at times - but it's all been worthwhile. He's got such a great personality and all the training has paid off.

As for the chewing thing - we have been quite lucky with Brando as he hasn't chewed any of our furniture, infact the only things he has managed to destroy are trainers, shoes - stuff that is easily replaced.

The hardest thing was house-training him which seemed to take forever, but he got there in the end!

10. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

Well, yes, raising a puppy is a lot of work, but lots of people get a puppy as their first dog. Just like most people have a human baby before they have an older child! If you have time, patience, and a willingness to learn about behavior and training, I don't think that you have to have dog experience before getting a puppy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.