1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does it work?

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Mykids, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mykids

Mykids Boxer Buddy

They are coming to do a home check today!!!! I'm so excited! There are two boys that I have been following at my local rescue, I'm hoping the people at the rescue will be able to help me out on witch one will be the better fit for my other two. I wish I could take both; it’s so hard to make that decision... what if the other boy doesn’t find a good forever home. And who knows they both might not be a good fit for my house : ( (I'm sorry I tend to ramble)
    My question is, dose anyone know if I will be able to have a meet-n-greet with my two and the potential new member of our family before we take him home? Or what happens if the greeting goes well but once home they don’t get along. I just want the best for everyone!

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

They should allow you a meet and greet and most rescues require it to make sure it is a good fit.

When you do introduce them, do one dog at a time. Don't do both at once, it will only hinder a true introduction. Don't allow a nose to nose intro, do it on a walk and allow your dog to follow the other so he can sniff is info. Then switch them so they each can get a sniff in without any interruptions.

Introduce them away from your property. When the dog comes home, allow your dogs to go in first with the newbie following. What I did was allow my dogs to wait inside and encourage the new one to come "visit". LOL They were wigglin and beaning inside the doorway waiting for the newbie to come in and join in the fun.

Feed all the dogs in seperate rooms. Very important, No excuses! I learned this the hard way. Allow them to eat freely without looking behind them to make sure the newbie isn't gonna steal their food.

When the newbie comes home, give him his own bed, no sharing of beds, food bowls or even toys. Your current dogs will play with the newbie at their own pace without having to "guard" their things. Remember, EVERYTHING, even the dust bunnies belong to your current dogs. They may not want to share right away. Allow them to guide the newbie with their body language. There may possibly be some grumbling, mouthing and light nipping, but that is just them tellling the newbie what is acceptable and what isn't.

Also, watch your current dogs body language for discomfort and support them when they look to you for guidance. There will be a confusion period, then a settlement period and eventually a bonding period. Go at the dogs pace.....don't rush things, protect your dogs when they appear overwelmed and teach "wait"......"wait" for cuddles, wait for anything.....then jealously shouldn't factor in too often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.