1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you maintain your babies nails?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by snowicki, Jul 15, 2004.

?

How do you maintain your babies nails?

1. I take them to the vet/groomer

15 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. I use the standard nail trimmers

52 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. I use a dremmel

29 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. They are so active they do it by themselves

28 vote(s)
    22.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowicki

snowicki Boxer Booster

Do you do your babies nails? If so, what do you use to trim them with? I hadn't had to trim Buster and Bandit until about a year ago because they were so active. I started with the standard nail clipper with a circle and the blade slides up, what a scary tool...their nails are so dry I thought I was going to crack the whole nail up the center!! The last three times I've done their nails I have used a dremel, sooooo much easier but more time consuming. Bandit is highly treat oriented and lays down and falls asleep sleepicon while I 'manicure' him and gets so excited when I'm done because he knows that he will receive his reward for being such a good boy. Buster just simply tolerates it.

2. kit02

kit02 Super Boxer

I use a Dremel tool to file them down. It takes 2 of us right now b/c he's only 3 1/2 months and still getting used to it but I like it so much better than the clippers - I don't feel comfortable using a clipper. Though when we are at the vet and they need a trimming they will cut them for me.

3. FarleyBoxer

FarleyBoxer BANNED

We use the scissor-type nail trimmers, as opposed to the 'guillotine' type trimmers. I don't have to do it much, but Farley hates it. I think attitude of the 'groomer' (aka Mom) has alot to do with it. For instance, if you watch the way professional groomers work, they are not necessarily *rough* with the dogs, but they don't take any crap and they just do what they need to do w/o kowtowing to the dog.

That said, I've worked very hard desensitizing Farley to the clippers by showing them to him, (treat), touching his feet with them, (treat treat), touching his nails with them, (treat treat treat) and then finally clipping a nail (oh, so many treats!) over a period of weeks.

Camille

4. Ciscobxr

Ciscobxr Boxer Insane

I had never thought about using a dremel, that is a great idea!
    I have not had to trim Cisco's yet, but was just planning on using reg. clippers.
    Mandy

5. Coco'smommy

Coco'smommy Boxer Insane

I use standard clippers, scissor type as well. Coco isn't real fond of it being done but she'll handle it because she knows she has to. Last time I trimmed, just last week, I didn't have to trim all of them because it appeared like she had kept two of them worn down on her back feet. The furthest out on each foot. Kinda weird.

6. Evie&Adam

Evie&Adam Boxer Insane

Clipping nails... that's the reason we walk every single morning! I rarely have to use the clippers, but i still check their toes frequently. Before I started walking them so much, I would litterally have to sit on Evie. I could do one nail at a time, she would freak, chase her down, sit on her again, do the next nail, repeat! Adam simply tolerates it, but obviously doesnt like it. I like the dremmel idea (my friend does that with his Danes) but given Evies history, I think it would be easy.

7. Ronin1

Ronin1 Boxer Insane

I use the scissor type trimmer. Ronin HATES it. He wrinkles his nose at me an everything. Per a suggestion on another BW thread - I have been putting peanut butter on his nose. This keeps him preoccupied long enough for me to get his nails done! :LOL:

8. Super Boo

Super Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

Boo used to try to bite me (in defense) when I'd use the nail clippers. I figured it must really hurt her for her to react like that. I started using the Dremel and the poor thing was so nervous the first time. Now she lays down and falls asleep.

9. catneon

catneon Completely Boxer Crazy

We use a dremmel. Although Gazou doesn't really like it I can still do it by myself. I like to keep his quite short because they really can scratch if they get too long and the dremmel was the easiest way.

Catherine and Gazou

10. BeckyNC

BeckyNC Boxer Insane

I've never had to cut Tae's nails. I walk her on the street or sidewalk and that does the trick quite well. She does have dew claws, though, and at some point those will need to be done. They don't seem to be growing much right now, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.