1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get a shiny coat

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by kjames7148, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

How long did you try the flax seed oil for? The results may take some time to appear.

Tamara

2. kjames7148

kjames7148 Super Boxer

I have been using one capsul per day (for both dogs) for about two weeks. I figured that I use one capsul since they are puppies and only weigh 14 and 21 pounds. Should I give it some more time?

Also, Tamara

was your rescue Luke really born on April Fools day or did you just use that because it describes his personality?

All boxers should have been born on April 1st. Especially mine.

Karen

3. dan h

dan h Super Boxer

Karen,

You might want to try using the cold pressed flax seed oil or something like that. I remember when I first questioned the use of Flax seed, I read somewhere that capsules do not hold their potency and that it had to be cold pressed.

4. lthompson35

lthompson35 Boxer Booster

I have a question. I noticed that a lot of you feed your dogs Nutro. We used to feed Samus that too but the vet has told us that we need to change food because Samus is battling the mange right now and she told us that nutro can sometimes be bad for their coats. She also said that nutro is so rich that sometimes it causes stomach problems. Samus's stool was looking less solid when she was on it and now that we have changed it is better. We switched to Science Diet. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

5. kjames7148

kjames7148 Super Boxer

Dan h,

What does cold pressed mean?

Karen

6. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I use fresh ground organic flax seed. You can buy little bags of the seeds from a health food store and they are relatively inexpensive (one month supply would be $2-3) or if you know any farmers you could get a lifetime supply for next to nothing. You grind them in your coffee grinder at home into a fine powder and add that to their feed. My BARF-mentor recommended 2-3 TBSP of the powder per day. I have had great success with it. You can store the whole seeds in your cupboard at room temperature, but once they are ground they need to be refrigerated.

lthompson35 - I tried to feed Nutro for a while but had fairly bad luck with diarrhea and stomach problems. I ended up switching to the raw diet.

Good luck to you!

Tamara

7. dan h

dan h Super Boxer

Karen,

I don't know exactly what it means, but I'll attempt to explain. I guess flax seed looses potency with time and loss of freshness. One way that has been proven to guarantee its freshness and potency was to put the seeds through a cold press process as soon as they are picked. I have searched everywhere for flaxseed oil. GNC, vitamin stores, and health stores. At some of these places, I found the flax seeds that were packed like coffee beans and it said it was cold pressed. At other places, I found them in liquid form, but it wasn't 100% flaxseed and didn't guarantee the freshness. Finally, I went to a hardcore health store, the ones that you just feel healthy by walking in. Anyway, the lady in there seemed to know a lot about Flaxseed and she had the different types of flaxseed available. The one that she recommended was inside a freezer. Freezing keeps the freshness. If I recall, the label had a date of when the Flaxseed was picked and cold pressed. It had only been three or four days. It also had an expiration date. It was 100% flaxseed. And, it was almost twice as expensive. Well, that's the one I give for my dogs and it seems to work well. I can't say that the other products won't work for I haven't tried them.

I apologize if this long and doesn't really answer your question.

8. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I can't imagine that Nutro is any worse for coats than Science Diet (and is probably far better for other things!).

I agree that you should try either the flax seed oil or fresh ground flax seeds. It takes 12-14 capsules to equal one Tbsp. of oil (the recommended maintenance dosage), so one capsule is not nearly enough. If you are feeding the seeds you would feed twice as much as the oil, Tam has all that info right on.

Cold-pressed refers to the way the oil is extracted from the seeds, I don't know the particulars but heat processing (the typical way of extruding oil) denatures flax seed oil so there would be no benefit to taking it. If there is a Whole Foods Market in your area, they carry cold-pressed flax seed oil, it's in a separate little refrigerator section, generally with the probiotics.

I grind the seeds, too - the $12 I paid for the coffee grinder (don't use the same one you grind coffee with!) is still less than one bottle of the oil, and the unground seeds last for ages (whereas you shouldn't keep the oil more than a couple of weeks unless you keep it in the freezer). However, I might start out giving 2 Tbsp. of oil daily for two weeks to help correct the severe Omega-3 deficiency that most dogs (and people!) are suffering from these days, then switch to the 1 Tbsp. of oil or go to 2 Tbsp. of the ground seeds. Flax seed oil in combination with borage oil is good, too - here's a bit about both:
    http://www.go-symmetry.com/flax-seed.htm

9. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I buy organic flax seeds and grind them myself in a coffee grinder as needed. It's easy and you don't have to keep it in the fridge or freezer. I usually alternate the flax seed with salmon oil.

10. Saywinboxers

Saywinboxers Boxer Booster

poor coats

Leigh Anne, I have been to many a seminar of food, and nutro is an excellent choice in my opionion......Most vets promote science diet-for what reason I can not tell you.....but please read labels...your first ingredient in science diet is corn meal, how good a food do you think that can be? That is nothing but a filler, and I bet your dog produces alot of stool. Science diet is also the food my vet offers.......doesn't make it the best. Therefore like we should do, I recommend reading all you can and then make your own decisions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.