1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get a shiny coat

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by kjames7148, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjames7148

kjames7148 Super Boxer

Has anyone ever used a vitamin suppliment or anything similar that would give my kids a shiny coat? Does anyone give their kids doggie vitamins for overall health? Any other tricks to use for a good, shiny coat?

2. dan h

dan h Super Boxer

I am not really sure of this, but I think Flaxseed oil gives a shiny coat. When I used to feed Innova, I didn't give any additional supplements and Max's coat was still shiny. One of the ingredients in the Innova was Flaxseed. I no longer feed him Innova but feed BARF and add some supplements to the diet. One of them is Flaxseed oil.

3. nicmicwil

nicmicwil Boxer Booster

Shiney coat..

My vet told me I could give him fish oil capulets. I would break it up and squeeze the liquid over his food. It seemed to work because he dosen't have any more dandruff.

4. Bxrlvr

Bxrlvr Boxer Booster

I use Code Fish Oil. They come in clear gel tabs.Lexi eats them like little treats. Her dry skin as gotten a lot better!!

5. Wendy Swalls

Wendy Swalls Super Boxer

Mickey shines like the sun, and I feed him Nutro. He gets cottage cheese in his food to make it a bit moist, but that's it! We just love Nutro! :D

6. Zsara

Zsara Super Boxer

I feed Nutro too

Blade's coat is beautiful...smashicon

7. MAGGIEMOM

MAGGIEMOM Boxer Booster

I've also heard flaxseed is good but some say if given you need to add vitamin e.
    my breeder voted for flaxseed and vit e also with cottage cheese added.

8. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I feed my boys BARF so they get fresh ground organic flax seed for coat, and I add Vitamin E capsules as well. They also get cod liver oil 4 times per week and sardines once a week. I've heard that both fish oils and flax seed oil/ground flax seed work well. I also feed eggs, yogurt and cottage cheese, but I don't think they do as much for the coat as the flax and fish oils. My dogs are both white and shine like the sun...I never thought a white dog could be shiney!

If you are interested in a complete supplement you could look into the BARFPlus supplement. It has a LOT of stuff in it (kelp. alfalfa, veggies, fruits, non-dairy probiotics, enzymes, Vit C, B Vitamins, etc)...for the complete list of ingredients check out www.barfworld.com. They also sell a variety of fish oils, kelp, alfalfa, etc.

I hope this helps you find the supplement you are looking for.

Good luck!

Tamara

P.S. I'm not trying to promote any products here, just telling you what works for me.

9. kjames7148

kjames7148 Super Boxer

Okay guys. I did the flax seed oil thing and that didn't work. I will try the cod fish oil next.

I feed Nutro which I mix with egg, yogurt, ground carrots and somtimes cheese (only one of these additional ingredients per day). But they still do not have shiny coats. My boy has the most beautiful fawn color, but it's just dull.

It's not just a cosmetic thing, I'm wondering what they are lacking that makes their coats dull?

Karen

Bonnie, 9 week, Brindle w/black mask
    Clyde, 10.5 week, fawn w/black mask
    hopefully Annie 3-4 mo rescue White AB mix.

10. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

Dallas's skin got a little dry in the winter and his coat wasn't quite as shiny, so I used 3-V caps -- that worked very well for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.