1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How big was your puppy?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by SumCoco, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SumCoco

SumCoco Boxer Buddy

We took our puppy with us to the ice cream shop today and there was another couple with a 12 week old boxer; ours is 9 weeks now. Their puppy was HUGE in comparison to ours. I mean she had to be 4-5 times the size of ours, but only three weeks older! Last week, at 8 weeks old, our coco was 6.6 pounds. What did your puppy's weigh around this age?? I just wonder if she's abnormally small, or maybe there is a major growth spurt between now and 12 weeks? Or if I will have a tiny dog when she's grown?! It was CRAZY to see the size difference!

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Juno weighed about 4.5 pounds when she was 8 weeks old.
    As an adult she is 50 pounds so definitely within the normal range for a boxer.

They all grow at different rates so it's impossible to know at that age how big they'll turn out. That puppy you saw might be big now, but could end up being smaller than your girl!

3. joannaryan

joannaryan Boxer Insane

At 8 weeks Toby weighed a little over 9lbs and I don't think he has stopped growing yet. He is 11 months now and at last weigh in at vets he weighed 70lbs. Hasn't been weighed since then but I think he is a stand still right now. There are no two boxers the same in weight, height, or build. They are all very special in their own ways :)

4. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Boxer puppies tend to vary SO much in weight from puppy to adulthood. The smallest pup in a litter could end up being the largest adult! You just never know.

Caney was 11 lbs at exactly 8 weeks old. The boys in her litter were even larger at that age. Now Caney is 5 years old and weighs 63 lbs, lean and muscular.

Creek was the true runt of her litter. I'm not sure how much she weighed at 8 weeks (my fiance had her long before we met) but judging from the puppy pictures he has of her, she appears to be half the size of Caney at around the same age. As an adult Creek weighs 54 lbs (but she could stand to lose 2 or 3 ;)).

5. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

We brought Raine home at 8 weeks and 2 days old.
    She was a whopping.....16 pounds.
    Her closest litter mates in size were two males who each weighed 10 pounds.
    She was chunky so say the least!

6. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

We got Roge at 8 wks and my parents got Podge his litter mate,I dont remember their weight but roge had a little fat tummy and Podge was a lean pup .Roge was always the bigger of the two until they got to be about 2 but while they are the same height now Roge has a bigger frame ie; wider chest and bigger head and paws. infact the breeders son was at my home last year and could not get over how big Roge is,he told us that he is way bigger than both of his parents both in height and weight. he is 80lbs .I would not call him FAT but when all is said and done maybe he could loose a pound or two. but hey I could say the same about myself !!!!!

7. Brindlegirly

Brindlegirly Boxer Booster

Our girl was around 7lbs at 8 weeks. She was literally all legs! I think she's small for her age now, but her parents were both 65+, so maybe she's just a late bloomer! I don't mind, makes her coordination easier! :)

8. MikaMay

MikaMay Boxer Booster

My Greta was one of two *runts* (geez, I really don't like that term) - she was out of a litter of 13, she and another were the smallest. At 9 wks. she was only 9 lbs. She's 7 yrs. now, but matured to a nice, big 65 to 67 lbs.
    I really don't think it's fair to compare to other pups and trying to guess what their mature size will be. So many factors play in.....genetics mainly...i.e. bloodlines.
    If the individual is eating well and progressing nicely......that's what counts.

9. xJazerx

xJazerx Super Boxer

We brought Dante home at 9 weeks, and he had his first vet visit (with us) at 11 weeks, and was 22 lbs.

10. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I think Arabella who was the smallest of the surviving pups (7 out 11 made it) was 8 lbs when I picked her up and a day short of 8 weeks. She remained small for he first year. I thought she was going to be like her mom and be about 55 lbs. She is 68 lbs and could stand to lose 2-3 lbs.

Thor was a bit bigger tho I don't now what his weight was for sure I would guess it was 12-15 lbs when I got him at 9 weeks. And he was a thin little guy who ate like a pig! My first girl weighed 8 1/2 pounds at her first vet visit. She was probably 8 weeks old. I got her from a byb and it was not good. She had coccidia and parvo. By 10 weeks she was finally recovering but was a bag of bones. Her frame was bigger but she only weighed 7 1/5 pounds. She came back strong and grew up to be 65 lbs at her healthiest weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.