1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about a tarantula?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Spotty's people, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowdy's Dad

Rowdy's Dad Guest

I've noticed that when a spider dies, it's legs curl up under it's body. I heard somewhere that instead of muscles in their legs, spiders have valves that allow fluid to build up pressure and cause the leg to flex much like hydraulic servoactuators. Is this true? Just curious. It would explain why their legs curl up.

2. Arachnopunks

Arachnopunks Boxer Booster

Jewels-

:D ...Ahh...how I love to talk about spiders!! You would be surprised at how many there are. I don't have any photos of my spiders to post either, but I will leave you some links so that you can figure out WHAT we are talking about.

First off, tarantulas that are from the New World (ie the Americas) have barbed hairs on their abdomens. They are usually less agressive than their eastern cousins so they have these special hairs as an extra defense. If the spider is attacked, it will rub its abdomen in such a way that it will 'flick' these itchy hair onto its attacker. You can imagine how effective this is on four legged predators whose nose or eyes would be sprayed with fiberglass-like hairs.

There are so many different ones:

This one is a Trinidad Chevron (Psalmopoeus cambridgei) which we both own: http://www.tarantulas.com/chevron.asp

It's cousin (which I also own): http://www.tarantulas.com/suntiger.asp

Out meanest species: http://www.tarantulas.com/srilank.asp

My personal favorite: http://www.tarantulas.com/greenbt.asp

What I want: http://www.tarantulas.com/redtree.asp

http://www.tarantulas.com/redknee.asp

3. jewels

jewels Boxer Booster

Arachno- hey I just checked out the pictures of all those spiders! oh man that'd be so scary having them in the house. (well, probably just for me cause I'd be thinking ok what if one gets out lol) This one would be very scary - Sri Lankan Ornamental. The Mexican Red Knee is very pretty. (Thats the first time I've ever said that about a spider :LOL:) So, whats the chances of seeing something like that in the woods? Do they live in the city? Can they just get into your house like any other spider???? Now I will be freaking every time I see a spider!! I will be like AHHHH WHAT IF IT'S THAT SRI LANKAN ORNAMENTAL?!?!? :LOL::LOL::LOL: (I dont mean any offence to you about spiders at all. I am just very inquisitive and would like to learn more so I will be less scared)

4. Arachnopunks

None of the tarantulas I showed you are from the USA. Some on them, like the Ven. Suntiger, Mex. Redknee, and the Greenbottle Blue are from Central and South America. There are only a few tarantulas in the USA east of the Mississippi River and, yes, they are in Kansas. You can find Aphonopelma hentzi: http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/dataset1/photobank1/0111.htm

Don't worry, NONE of the species that are from the USA are venomous and they live deep underground in burrows and usually only come out at night. They are also not aggressive and genle enough to hold without being bitten. You really have more to worry about from a small black widow than you do from any tarantula, even the Sri Lankan Ornamental. Luckily for us, most of the more agressive tarantulas are in Asia and Africa. Even so, these spiders try to avoid people even more than we avoid spiders. In China, gardeners leave burrows in their gardens for tarantulas (agressive ones mind you) to keep down the insect populations. The spiders leave the people alone and eat the bugs, so they use less pesticides. There are over 300 different types of tarantulas that have been discovered and more are being discovered every year. That shows you how good they are at avoiding contact with people. Have you ever seen one where you live?? Did you know that tarantulas lived in Kansas?? The only time you may encounter a tarantula is in the late summer. That is when the males leave their homes in search of females to mate with. If this should happen.....remember......it is NOT venomous!!!! Either leave it alone or scoop it into a cup and release it outside. Many people will kill a male tarantula when they find them. I think that would make a BIG mess that I wouldn't want to clean up!! Plus, male tarantulas only live a few short years (compared to a female's 30 year lifespan) and it is good for the species if they can live to breed. There are two great programs coming on Animal Planet this Saturday night (05/04) about tarantulas that may help to put your mind at ease. Here is a link: http://animal.discovery.com/schedule/weekly.jsp?channel=APL

Also, keep in mind that many people that keep tarantulas got into the hobby because they wanted to overcome their fear of spiders. Once the fear goes away, there is a world of fascination that is opened up. My fiance got his first tarantula to overcome his fear of spiders after having one bite him in his shoe when he was little. I have always been interested in bugs and spiders and plants that I would find around outside. Once we got together, out intrest in tarantulas grew together too. Neither one of us has ever been bitten by on. I do not handle them as a habit, but I have held 3 of them before without any problems other than my palms sweating!! We usually will capture them in a smaller jar whenever we need to redo the tanks so there is no need to even touch the agressive species. Seriously, if you have any questions about tarantulas, let me know. I love dispelling myths about them. Many people enter our home with little interest or even fears of spiders. Once they have seen our spiders, most people are spider fans. You may even become one yet.......yes.......come to the dark side.....:D

-Jill

5. sparsey

sparsey Super Boxer

O.K. you guys!! This is a hobby I just don't get. I don't like spiders, never have. There is nothing worse than waking up to a HUGE spider walking on the ceiling over your head. I try not to freak out when I see spiders, but I don't like them. I usually just get my husband to take them outside, but I'm always worried that they'll come back. My son found a HUGE spider in his room, and if we start thinking about them, then we are all freaking out. I know the best way to stop being scared of something is to research it and get to know it, but with spiders and me I don't think this is going to happen in the near future. My sister is even more phobic than me, she screams! I don't mean to put any one down or anything, but I find this a kind of creepy hobby. Maybe one day I'll see the beauty in spiders, but I'm not sure it will be in this lifetime. I can handle snakes more than spiders.

6. Arachnopunks

I understand......I am claustrophobic <SP> and I can not even begin to imagine how I would get over that by facing it. I couldnt even TRY to be locked in a small box becuase I would loose all sanity, so I understand that spiders are like that to some people.

-Jill

7. jewels

jewels Boxer Booster

Jill, Wow. I took a look around that tarantula website. I didn't know there were that many different kinds of tarantulas alone. gee whiz. Before reading all this stuff you've been telling me, I thought a tarantula was just a kind of spider and that was it and they all were the same. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! Well, it is very relieving to know that there are no venomous (sp?) ones in the US. Actually, I live in Missouri, not Kansas. But, Kansas City is both Kansas and Missouri. I just live on the Missouri side. Anyways...no I have never saw one here. I had no idea tarantulas even lived here!! Do you have any black widows? Are those the ones with the little red spot on them? I had no idea spiders could live up to 30 yrs. Why do the male ones live such a shorter life? What makes a tarantula a tarantula? Like the differences of them from other ones? Wow....I just read on the animal planet description of the tarantula show that a tarantula is the rarest animal in the world! Is the hair on the spiders like prickily feeling? Is it true that gran daddy long legs are the most deadly spider but their teeth are too small to bite you? I have always thought this since I was little. What about spiders you find in your house just the little ones...are they venomous? Will they bite? And is it true that where theres one spider theres a hundred??? you are like a spider genious. :LOL: I just so full of questions for you hehe
    -Stephanie

8. Spotty's people

Spotty's people Super Boxer

This is GREAT!!!!!

We have lots of Black Widow spiders here (in my family, we actually had them as "pets" when I was a kid!), as a native species. They are really a beautiful creature..... Shiny black, with a bright red 'hourglass' on the abdomen..... My hubby tells me that there are five species of black widow in North America.... interesting, eh? In Australia, they have the Redback (for one) that is related... Really coooooool! Ours eat a lot of wasps that can become a nusiance in the late summer.... wasps that carry away entire steaks & cobs of corn at a bbq.... that kind of thing....

I'm sure glad that Jill has been loading you up with great links & info. I'm on the claustrophobic side myself, and also would much rather deal with a spider than be spelunking somewhere!

I understand the fear of spiders, and one author has put it in an interesting way in the book "The Book of the Spider" by Paul Hillyard.
    An essay was written on why humans have a fear of spiders. The conclusion was essentially that it is not really the critter itself, but the unpredictability of it that put fear into people. Say you have a spider on the floor in front of you. You get scared. Spider gets REALLY scared. Spider runs for cover (read: dark space)..... where does it head but right underneath you..... trying to get under your feet & hide! So, human does the natural thing & freaks out! Voila! Fear of spider, fear of creepy crawly thing that runs toward you instead of away!

I find it a very interesting topic.... the fear of spiders & insects. But then others would find my fears interesting, too perhaps!

By the way Sharon (Sparsey), I like snakes, too!!!! That old song doesn't work for me! ("I don't like spiders & snakes.... but that ain't what it takes, to love me....."!!!!!!:D )

Oh, and yes, "Jewels" , we've had one that we now call "Houdinette" because she seems to be an escape artist.... can you imagine if I had told the realtor trying to sell our place that we were missing one of our tarantulas when they were going to show our house!?! Well.... I just avoided the topic & found the little sucker first! It had found it's way into the closet in the "spider room", eaten another escapee (a trinidad chevron juvie), and subsequently molted while living in my hubbie's lab coat!
    Then, the same spider (after travelling 250 miles to a new home to where my hubby was staying in transition.... he moved here before me because of work) escaped again.... in a motel room! eeeek! After searching through the entire room, and through all his stuff, my hubby finally decided just to have a beer & relax before searching again... and there she was.... waiting beside the beer glasses! We figure that next time, we'll just have a beer first, & search later!! :D
    But, don' t let that get you scared! Ours rarely escape! And none have since.... well, for a while now...... Just warn us if you're coming to visit!
    (No, really.... we don't fool around with them, because they can be very fragile & die when out of their environment. We've lost some valuable species due to environmental problems, & don't like to have them escape.)
    And, just for your knowledgeable side of things, spiders have "fangs" like dracula.... not teeth like us & our doggies.... But of course we know what you mean!
    And, don't be afraid to ask questions! I can bet that Jill & her guy are just as glad as we are that someone is asking questions about spiders & not choosing to remain in the dark.... Just like all people who take up an interest, we are happy to share such as we've got! As a matter of fact, we are always learning about spiders from each other.... I've gotta check out the website most recently posted!
    Homework ahead! I think hubby will be checking in on this thread now, too!
    Later, gang! Keep up the inquisitiveness! Gotta love it!
    s.

9. Arachnopunks

Rowdy's Dad

>I've noticed that when a spider dies, it's legs curl up under it's >body. I heard somewhere that instead of muscles in their legs, >spiders have valves that allow fluid to build up pressure and >cause the leg to flex much like hydraulic servoactuators. Is this >true? Just curious. It would explain why their legs curl up.

Yes, you are correct about why a spider's legs will curl under when it dies. We couldn't have said it better!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.