1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about a tarantula?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Spotty's people, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oz4lines

oz4lines Completely Boxer Crazy

Yeah, knowing where she resides (besides on my rooftop garden) might help. we live in Western New York. Near Niagara Falls and Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Mighty Niagara River.
    (all less than a 1/2 hour drive)

She only comes out at night and appears to be doing my garden good as my aphid and whitefly problems seam to be at a minimum this year. I have seen bees flies mosquitoes and wasps trapped in her web, but they are always gone the next morning.
    Which leads to the question of what you feed yours.
    Do you "grow" your own flies, maggots and such? How often do you feed, do they save it for later or eat things immediatly?

I had a Tokay Gecko when I was younger and remember feeding live crickets and meal worms, but I didn't keep him very long.
    We ocassionaly get a baby lizard in our shipments of fresh flowers from Columbia and various South American vendors but I just release them outdoors.

2. oz4lines

oz4lines Completely Boxer Crazy

Just curious if you found out anything on my spidey?
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen her in about a week. Its been pretty cold here, and had a frost last night. Poor spidey, I hope shes ok. I was starting to winterize my garden yesturday afternoon( bringing in my tender plants and harvesting the last of the cherry toms. and peppers) and it started to hail like crazy. I guess summer is over.
    As I said in a previous post, I studied entomology in college(about 17? years ago) but I dont remember if spiders winter over ? I suppose I could do my own homework, but this way is more fun.
    P.S. how's Lizzy?

3. Spotty's people

Spotty's people Super Boxer

Sorry about the looonng delay!

Yes, I have found out something about your spidy, but nothing exciting or exotic.... It took some time for hubby to come & look at the pic....
    We've determined that it is your "common" garden variety of spider, genus Aranea.... It will not survive the winter... but all of those little eggs are keeping warm & will greet you come spring! Just in case you miss her! The young will overwinter next fall, & then the next spring & summer will grow to be just like momma... You may see another biggie next year... as they are pretty common.

It was hard to see exactly what her back looked like (what you need to really get a better i.d.), but you did a great job with the photos! The digital ones were really a big improvement, and so close!

As to "Lizzy" that I caught in the yard, she is doing really well, & has been moved to the spider room where it is very warm. She is eating a couple of crickets every few days, & I can hardly wait to see her (yeah, it could be a he....) grow. She catches the crickets really fast! If she were outside right now, she'd probably be hibernating.

Just a thought for you. I wonder if you were to find lizard people around you that would take the little critters off your hands if you get any in shipments. They most likely don't survive in the great outdoors up here, or if they do, they may harm local fauna.... If I were there, I'd take them from you! We have asked our local grocers for any interesting spiders that come in on shipments from down south (usually with bananas)....hoping to get some neat ones. People would regularly phone the University where hubby studied, & he'd get spiders that way, and now where we are people phone the research station with questions & critters.... It's a very interesting field

I'm attaching a photo of the species of tarantula that we are now selling off. It is a Trinidad Chevron (Cambridgei), and I think it's really beautiful. You can see the irridecent green on the back, and the little red toes. In the right light, it's legs also show the green. We had a lot of babies, & now we need to be rid of the young ones, to make room for other incoming species! They sure are interesting....

Anyway... sorry again for the delay. You made such a great effort to get those pics!

Susan

4. Arachnopunks

Arachnopunks Boxer Booster

Wow.....I know this thread is old, but I will post anyway. W also have tarantulas and 1 Boxer. We also have an adult Trinidad Chevron and three juvies. I think we have 19 tarantulas in all abd about 13 different species. It is refreshing to find people with similar interests. My fiance, Johhny, got his first tarantula almost 10 years ago to get over a fear of spiders. What was once a fear is now a passion for him. You husband is luck that he gets to work in a related field. I wish there was money to be made just studying spiders!!

-Jill

5. Spotty's people

TOO COOL!

I will have to have hubby read your reply, it is really neat to meet fellow arachnophiles!

Do you belong to the Am. Tarant. Soc.?

6. jewels

jewels Boxer Booster

I'm so lost!!! How do you view the attachments on a thread???? I want to see some spiders too lol

7. Arachnopunks

Arachnopunks Boxer Booster

Yes, both Johnny and I belong to the ATS. I post sometimes at Petbugs.com, do you guys go there?? I am also confused about how to view the attachments here. What a small world.

-Jill

8. jewels

jewels Boxer Booster

Jill- Hopefully someone will reply soon and let us know how to view the attachments. WoW!! You have 19 spiders!!! Spiders scare me. I'm a sissy when it comes to them :LOL: Do you hold them? Can they bite???? I dont know much about spiders.

9. Spotty's people

Attachments!

Jill/Jewels:
    They're gone, I think! Sorry, Gang!
    There were too many photos taking up too much room, so I think that they've all been eliminated. This thread is pretty old......

I will think about where to post some.... We don't have a webpage that I could refer you to.

Just asked Hubby & yes, he's been to Petbugs.com.....

We don't hold our spiders (too afraid of dropping & killing one)... sure they can bite, but I'd be more afraid of the hairs that they can throw off.... Like having little bits of asbestos in your lungs, eyes, skin... tiny little prickles, or miniature porcupine quills. Best to use goggles & gloves when handling them....

Most of the species that we have are too jumpy to hold anyway. Man, when they get out! They are FAST!!!! Not your basic movie-making variety! Well, we have one of those (Chilean Rosehair) "Rosie"..... I'd really like a red-knee or toe or something docile like that.... Hard to get where we are.

We wish there was money in spiders, too! Hubby's only real choice for getting a doctorate would be in spider study! So, I guess no doctorate! hahaha!

S.

10. jewels

jewels Boxer Booster

hey, thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know I wasn't just having THAT hard of a time trying to figure out where the dang attachments were :LOL::LOL:

WOW!! I didn't know that spiders can throw hairs off of them. (i dont know much about spiders anyways) So do they have teeth? like are they little teeth or are the big one you can see???? Boy I have soo many questions lol.

maybe you could post a few of your pictures on your members gallery. And then delete them after I got to see them. Are these BIG spiders?? Oh dear, have you ever had one get loose???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.