1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about a tarantula?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Spotty's people, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luey

Luey Boxer Booster

LOL :D I'll have to remember the silly string thing. Course out here they might think its a roach bridle! You'll end up taming a wild roach....I guess then you could make it into a "cutter" (to seperate the roaches...have your own little roach corral! The mere thought makes me shudder.

I will avoid roaches at all cost! One of my friends and me had two roaches chase us into our car then they porceeded to climb in! We had to flick them out the ddors while zooming down the highway!

2. Spotty's people

Spotty's people Super Boxer

roaches!

We are very lucky where I now live to have no roaches. In Vancouver, there are roaches... but not the Texan kind! (By the way, how big are your small cars there???!!) They have a species (I think the German roach?) that is very small....

When hubby was starting his re-education, he was studying in Kelowna (about 1 hour north of us), they had a room where the roaches were kept... within the room was a large cage, within the large cage a smaller cage.... this is where they did their experiments. NO roaches were to leave the cages! They are not native here, nor did they want escapees!

We do have small scorpions, but they are an endangered species. Also a type of lizard that is endangered (actually very close to extinct), plus many desert plants & insects & animals (burrowing owl for instance).... Too much urban sprawl. Very little of the native habitat here is protected.... (And now for the vent: this area of BC is way more endangered than any of our forests, & you NEVER hear "certain groups" objecting to the destruction of the habitats, or the urban sprawl.... I guess big trees are easier to hug than little insects & plants..... And, since so many people like to retire here (well, so would I, so I don't blame them!), not enough measures have been taken to preserve our natural desert, ponderosa forest, sagebrush & bunchgrass habitats.

This must happen all over the world, I guess. I feel sorry for the little critters, though.... We sometimes feel guilty when Spotty does his "scraping" after a pee when it is in the forest! I'm always appologizing to ant lions when we walk over their little traps in the sand.......

oz4lines: if you could snap a pic & post it here, that would be cool! If there is some way that you could include something in the photo for a size comparison, that would be really neat!

Sorry, I like bugs!
    Our home is on a "catch & release" program! ;) Catch the offending beast in the house & release it to the great outdoors!
    Whew! I've gotten windy again.
    Bye.

3. leenasmom

leenasmom Boxer Insane

Well, the cars Luey was talking about are hot wheels, and they are about that size( the grandpa ones):rolleyes: . I am guessing here, but I think they are called Burmese (sp?) Roaches or tree roaches.

4. oz4lines

oz4lines Completely Boxer Crazy

Oh, the things we do for friends.
    I searched the house for our camera, spent a 1/2 hour trying to remember how its works, The flash thing looked pretty corroded, no batteries to be found. so i had to rig up a portable shop light, of course there was nothing to hang it from, so i held the light in my teeth, and started snapping away. I must have scared her because she took off after two shots.Then it starts to rain, so I haul everything in and wait. The rain stops, i re-setup take a few more pics and I'm out of film. Quickly I change back into my street clothes(had my pjs on) so i can rush off to the 1 hour photo. I get there and the photo dept closed an hour ago. So i grabbed some beer and came home. I'll drop the film off in the morning before work and pick it up when i close the shop.
    These pictures better come out. I was using one of my boyriends better cameras, from when he was an art photographer, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to all those dials and stuff.
    Upon closer examination of her(thats the closest i ever got to her) I'd say shes probably closer to a nickel(not a quarter) in size and about 1/4 " thick in the body.
    Even if shes little smaller than i originally guessed, I still wouldn't want to mess w/ her. Everytime she moved, I'd flinch and have to recompose myself before i could get close again. Sure wish i knew how to work the zoom feature.

5. oz4lines

sorry, really bad pics

After all my efferts yesturday, I must say I'm pretty disapointed. Only two pictures on the roll were even visable. Well I warned you I didn't have a clue how to use the camera. Then theres the old scan, trim resize convert to jpeg, check w/ Boxerworld test, Of course its too big, resize, check again,resize..............
    I havent even begun to use the other features on Adobe Photo.
    So, you'll have to deal with it for now. This computer stuff is VERY new to me.
    I'm so bummed the rest of the pictures didn't come out. Those were the ones where I got real close ( I tried to be brave) and of the thickness of her body.
    The only size comparison I have is the branches on the half dead cedar bush. I couldn't hold anything next to her as I had one hand on the camera, one hand holding the bush out of the way, and the light in my mouth.
    Well, it was fun anyway.
    I may not be any good but I try.

6. oz4lines

her true color is brick(orangy red)

7. oz4lines

I think we got it right this time

Well, what a difference a digital camera makes.
    Lets just pretend those other picures don't exist, OK.
    This shot is of her underside.
    ENJOY

8. oz4lines

obviously not as big as a tarantula, but still pretty darn big to be living in my rooftop garden.

Side shot

9. Spotty's people

Spotty's people Super Boxer

Holy cow!

Great pics! I'll get hubby to take a look at them tonight....
    By the way, what general location are you? Country, hemisphere, etc? This helps in identifying the spidy....
    The ones you took showing the back of the abdomen may still be good enough for an i.d.
    You certainly tried hard enough to get a picture.... I commend your efforts!:D I could imagine what the entire senario looked like!
    And,guess what I found crawling across our lawn on Saturday? A lizard! Yeah! Not an endangered one, but what is called a Northern Alligator lizard.... It is just a baby, but very "tame". I've set up an environment for it in an aquarium, & am feeding it fruit flies & baby crickets. They should be getting near hibernation time here, and so bringing it in should be okay.... It will probably grow faster this way. It is about 9 cm long, & they can grow up to 25cm.... It's name may be "Lizzy" or "Al"!
    http://eqb-dqe.cciw.ca/partners/carcnet/reptiles/tour/glossary/alliz/alliz2.htm
    Is a link to an informative website, showing the lizard.... If anyone is interested....

10. Tucker's_mom

Tucker's_mom Super Boxer

I must be the one arachnophobic person on this board!! I'm petrified of spiders. I swear they know it too! I've got so many stories...

One morning, half asleep, I was putting on my bra. There was a piece of fuzz on it, so I pulled it off and threw it on the floor (yes, I was living with my parents :o) and it crawled away. I about died!!!

Another time I was putting on my work boots and I kept feeling something inside my boot. I kept thinking it was just my sock getting all bunched up. I tried fixing my sock about 3 times before I decided there must be something IN my shoe. I shook it upside down and a HUGE spider fell out. I screamed bloody murder waking up my mom. She came out to see what the commotion was and about peed herself when she saw what scared me.

And the final one...I went outside to have a cigarette. As I was coming back in the house there was the biggest spider I've ever seen. I swear it was the size of a tarantula (but we lived in Indiana and I don't think there's tarantula's there). I threw pebbles at it to make it move (sorry spider fans). Pebbles bounced right off it and it just stayed there. My brother was supposed to be coming home soon, so I decided I'd wait until he got there. Well an hour later, I decided to suck it up and leapfrogged my way into the house. I don't think my feet even touched the ground. I put a post-it note on the front door to remind myself about the spider the next morning. Thankfully it was gone!

When I find them in my house I cover them with tupperware (yes, I've even taped tupperware to the walls) for my husband to get when he gets home.

What can I say...I'm a scaredy cat!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.