1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about a tarantula?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Spotty's people, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spotty's people

Spotty's people Super Boxer

Okay, okay, okay.... enough about scary spiders already!
    These things make great pets! My hubby is an entomologist (bug-guy), and has a hobby studying spiders... He'd be an arachnologist if he could make a living at it!

Anyway, we have around 18 tarantulas in the house right now... consisting of 6 or 7 different species. (I keep losing track of them all!)

I'll attach a picture of one of the spiders. Our biggest one is the mommy of most of them. She is a Trinidad Chevron, & her name is "Chevvy". She is really a beaut! The photo attached shows one of the species that we have.... I call her "Houdinette" as she is always the one that escapes!

We don't let Spotty in the "Spider room" without supervision, as he is always trying to help them escape!

2. Spotty's people

other hobby, photography

And guess what he likes to take pictures of? Spiders.
    Attached is one of his photos of your common garden variety spider. We are getting this one blown up to put on the wall. Veerrryy Scaaaaarrry!

3. oz4lines

oz4lines Completely Boxer Crazy

GREAT PICS.
    I love bugs any kind, except ants
    My field is in Horticulture and had to take several courses in entomolgy, which I absolutly loved.Of course that was many years ago and most of the scientific details have long ago left me.
    My family pics on me because all my t-shirts are of bugs, spiders, bats, frogs,ants, bees,wasps, ladybugs etc.
    I am allergic to mosquitoes and spider bites, so I try not to get to close to them.
    We have some great spiders living on our deck this year, they are huge.Their bodies are about the size of a quarter and their webs are so large and very detailed. As much as I hate to, i have to ask my boyfriend to remove them as they have been spinning their webs very close to the jacuzzi and I really don't want to get bit.
    I have always been very much a tomboy (which has always p*****off my father ) and when I was over at his house for dinner last week, my 8yr old niece announces at the table that she wants to grow up to be just like her Aunt, be a tomboy and not be afraid of bugs or anything. My father literally pushed his plate away, got up and left the room at her comment. It took everything we had for my sister and me to keep from busting up.
    I don't think I could raise spiders though, as much as i love bugs,reptiles, rodents and such I must admit, while I'm not afraid of them,I am pretty squeemish.

4. Spotty's people

I love bugs any kind, except ants
    My field is in Horticulture and had to take several courses in entomolgy, which I absolutly loved.Of course that was many years ago and most of the scientific details have long ago left me.
    My family pics on me because all my t-shirts are of bugs, spiders, bats, frogs,ants, bees,wasps, ladybugs etc.
    Good for you! You wouldn't believe all the bug stuff that we have .... almost gets to be too much!

Just to "bug" (sorry!) people, here's another pic that we really like... another spider.... perhaps you've seen this kind on one of your tulips?

5. JennaP

JennaP Boxer Booster

ok this is so cool!

I don't have a problem w/ bugs be it the eight legged kind or not. My husband is a sissy and calls me in to remove daddy long legs! I think it would be so cool to have a room devoted to spiders. that would definately keep away some of my more unwanted guests.(people variety) the pics are great. be sure to tell your husband i'm looking forward to seeing more. I love the shadow one that you are going to blow up.

too cool!

Jenna

6. oz4lines

oz4lines Completely Boxer Crazy

Just as i finished posting a few moments ago i realized i hadn't watered out on the deck today. one of our cedar bushes has our biggest spider living in it. Its the only one I havent asked to be removed, as my boyfriend has not seen him yet. I've been watching him for weeks, everyday there is a nice assortment of catches in the web and by morning they are gone. Well everytime i see him(the spider) my boyfriend is nowhere to be found. I think he doesn't believe me on its size. Well, when i just went out to water , there he was, working on a nice big fly. I sure wish i had the camera, perfect picture to post right now. My boyfriend travels alot and always takes the digital camera.
    Guess its time to get my own camera, I'm tired of missing all those great moments in time. That scanning from photos,convert to jpeg, trim, resize, blah blah blah has got to go. Thats why my pics of Adolf(boxer) are so lame.

Oh yeah, by the way, we dont kill them, he just pics them by yhe web and relocates them.

7. Spotty's people

Mantids

Hey, we have Praying Mantids here, too! They are a native species in the Okanagan Valley (a semi-arid desert region). They are smaller than the ones in Hawaii, but still, very cooool! They are green or brown.

We've also had various stick insects (imported), but no frogs or amphibians... although, I would love a chameleon, gecko, or other lizard. I love lizards!

8. leenasmom

leenasmom Boxer Insane

Those are great pics. I can't stand bugs of any kind, but your husband takes great pictures.

9. Luey

Luey Boxer Booster

When I was younger we lived deep in the country, I would find Tarantulas in my bath tub. I never did mind that...it was the scorpions I hated! They terrified me! Also, while living in the California desert I became familiar with vinigaroons (yucky). The only other bug that I am afraid of are roaches! Here in Texas, they are the size of a small car!!! I can't even bring myself to squish them smashicon I can't stand the sound of the CRUNCH!

10. leenasmom

leenasmom Boxer Insane

:LOL: :LOL: Luey, they are huge, right. One time there was one hanging from my ceiling, and I was so affraid of it. It took me 45 minutes to come up with a plan to capture it. I got some of Zoe's silly string and tried to make a flying net to trap it. Didn't work, but my neighbors laughed so hard at me, then they got rid of it for me. Gotta love those neighborscool2icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.