1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot head

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Gatorblu, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

This is something I haven't seen mentioned before and after doing a quick search online, I didn't get any answers. Skully's head will sometimes get really hot. His body will still be a normal temperature. It is his whole head and sometimes his chest that gets hot, so I know it isn't and ear infection. He will pant and pace a bit trying to cool off. It happens at random times. Sometimes it will be 3 or 4 in the morning and other times in the middle of the day. It seems to be a daily thing. I am considering taking him to vet, but I not sure they will understand the temperature difference unless they feel it. I wish I could use two thermometers and get a temp from each end when it happens. lol Has anyone else seen this or know a cause?

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I have never heard of theat. What do you do when it happens? I wonder if you could put a cool cloth on his head of maybe spray him with some water. I hope your vet has an answer.

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I ordered an infrared thermometer so I can document the temperature difference. I have just been consoling him when it happens, but the wet cloth sounds like a good idea.

4. Jan

It will be interesting to see what the difference in temperature is. Keep us posted. :)

5. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Strange one !!! My Dad gets hot feet and it has baffled his doctor for years ..
    As Jan suggested I imagine a cool cloth on his head will help him cool off as I'd imagine if it were ear infection it wouldn't be sporadic .

6. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Well, whatever has caused this has stopped. He had one mild episode on Monday, and nothing since then.

7. Jan

Maybe he had a fever. I am glad that he seems to be better!

8. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Well that's good news !!! There's never a dull moment with these goofballs :)

9. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

That is interesting because Daisy is 3 and her chest is ALWAYS cold.