1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostile towards girls

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by DanCat, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanCat

DanCat Boxer Booster

Well I think I have figured out Sapphire's problem. Whenever I take her for a walk she will act hostile towards some dogs while completely ignoring others. I started asking people if their dogs were female or male whenever I saw an owner out with their dogs. The owners of the dogs that Sapphire acted hostile towrads always responded that they were female( The dogs not the owners :) ) Sooo it is my assumption that Sapphire has a problem with other female dogs. She is spayed. My question now is what can I do about it? Is there anyway to break her of this or do I just have to make sure she stays away from other females. I don't let her play with any other dogs right now.

2. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

She probably doesn't like other bitches. That's fine and manageable (assuming you don't add any female dogs to the house or expect her to get along with any outside of it), but it's probably worth doing some additional obedience training (in a class) to work on behaving politely in the presence of other dogs/bitches anyway.

If you're willing to not expect her to play happily with other dogs, the least she can do is not try to kill every one she sees when she's out for a walk. You can work on that together. The saddest outcome would be if she developed such bad habits everytime she saw another bitch that it became easier to just keep her at home. Better to deal with it up front so that she knows you won't push her into close proximity, but she has to exercise restraint.

3. DanCat

DanCat Boxer Booster

The ones that she has come into contact with she hasn't tried to maul but it rather seems to be a dominance thing. My friend who lives a couple doors down has a little Bischone(?) and she was the first I saw her do this to. She wouldn't let her come near me. Sapphire would just flip her around and stand over her, which I know is a sign of dominance. I tell her to "leave it" when she sees other dogs and wants to go towards them, she listens to a point but will circle me so she can get a better look at them. I guess I just need to work with her more. We've had her since this past August and she has been doing well.

4. hanley

hanley Boxer Insane

This is hard to break or control,I too have a dominant female,& never trust her around another female dog, given half a chance & they will fight to the death, for no apparent reason,& with no warning.She will be fine,if you don't bring home a female,& she may not like a male coming between you & her. This is just something to watch for. My female does great with our male, but she still rules the roost & thankfully he lets her.Hanley

5. DanCat

DanCat Boxer Booster

Well I guess it's ice to see I am not the only one to have this problem, b ut it's not a nice problem. I don't plan on getting another boxer or any other dog. She demands so much love and I really couldn't see trying to have to give that much love to another dog. I will just have to be careful like I have been when we go walking.

6. apollosdad

apollosdad Boxer Insane

perhaps you should try and socialize her with some other females, but on a gradual basis. it seems that the best way to "reduce" her behavior is to "increase" her exposure to it and to let her figure out that the other females are okay and not a threat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.