Horrible Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstewart20

Boxer Booster
Since we moved I was thinking of switching vets because our other one is 45 minutes away. My regular vet is on vacation for a week, so yesterday I took Maia to a new vet that was closer because she has some sort of infection in her ear. It was such a horrible experience. The vet asked me what I was feeding her, and I told him Canidae, he had never heard of it. He told me I really should start feeding her a high quality name brand like Science Diet. :mad: (and gave me samples which I promptly threw out) He then was trying to talk me into getting both Aiden and Maia vaccinated for various diseases like worms, and ticks. His technique to sell his point was to show me actual samples of hookworms, tape worms. :eek: I was so grossed out, but what was making me really mad, was I kept telling him they have already had their shots, and were on preventitive medicines, and get regular check ups. I was fuming, and I know I probably should have just left the office, but Maia's poor ear was itching her so bad I had to get her medicine.
I will NOT be changing and am going to stick with my regular vet. It's worth the 45 minute drive!

Mama_Zookeeper

Boxer Insane
Most vets do not know enough about nutrition to be well informed, you would do that vet a favor to send out some literature printed from this web sight or the many out there that show how crappy HSD is! I agree though I would not return to that vet after his sales pitch. Sorry about the poopy visit.

Dora

daisykaye

Super Boxer
He then was trying to talk me into getting both Aiden and Maia vaccinated for various diseases like worms, and ticks.

I don't think that there is a vaccination for worms and ticks. Was he trying to sell you heart worm prevention? This is a monthly tablet that prevents a dog from getting heart worms. A very serious threat during mosquito season.

mstewart20

Boxer Booster
I don't think that there is a vaccination for worms and ticks. Was he trying to sell you heart worm prevention? This is a monthly tablet that prevents a dog from getting heart worms. A very serious threat during mosquito season.

He was trying to sell me a lyme's vaccination, heartguard, frontline, he went through a whole list. I know these are all serious threats. He just wouldn't listen to me when I told him they already had a lyme's vaccination, and were on heartworm prevention and frontline.

koaboy04

Boxer Insane
Most vets do not know enough about nutrition to be well informed, you would do that vet a favor to send out some literature printed from this web sight or the many out there that show how crappy HSD is! I agree though I would not return to that vet after his sales pitch. Sorry about the poopy visit.

Dora

It's true, my vet has never heard of the better quality foods either, he tried to suggest SD to me as well & I laughed it off & said no thanks.

I'm sorry that your visit was yuckie, I'm with you though, the 45min drive is worth it when you are happier. :)

Biff

Boxer Insane
Yip, I'd stick with the regualr vet - this guy sounds a money grabbing so and so.............

mancin

Boxer Insane
I've had a lot of problems with vets myself and I finally found a place that I like. It seems the cost of everything is twice as much as the other places I've been to - but at this point it's like you and driving the long distance... I don't care the price as long as I like the vet!

I haven't found a vet I really like yet! There is a really great one in the town I was born in about an hour from me. I'm really thinking of going to him. He has been around for years and evryone has heard of him and has lots of good things to say. The drive is probably worth it. What worries me is what to do if I have a problem that needs immediate attention. :( It seems all the ones here are like what you described. When I took Diesel in for a broken foot last month they spent 30 mins trying to go over his shot record and talk me into vaccinnes he already had before they even looked at his foot that he couldn't even stand on! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.