Horrible day - almost lost my baby!! (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktn67

Super Boxer
I never thought a simple trip to the vet for puppy vaccinations could turn so scary but mine did!!! I almost lost Charm Saturday!!!! My breeder doesn't recommend giving the Lepto vaccine to our babies. They seem to have problems with it. But she's never had one like Charm!!! We weren't going to give her the Lepto but both my vet and hers have seen an increase in cases of the disease and they were recommending we vaccinate. So we discussed and decided we would. I took her in for this vaccine only, seperate from all her other puppy shots so if she did have a reaction we would know the culprit. I just had a bad feeling about it. My regular vet was off this Saturday and the lady filling was someone I didn't know but I went ahead with the vaccine anyway. I trust my vet and if she trust her practice to this vet then I trust her judgement. I was warned to watch for hives and swelling around her face and that if she started throwing up and/or collapsed to come right back. (DUH!) I'm told about 1 in 200 dogs have an allergic reaction to this shot. Well Charm had a welt on her within seconds and she was scratchiong at the injection site before we even left the office. I decided not to leave right away and sat in the car with her. Within 10 minutes she was stumbling around, tripping over herself. I knew she wasn't right. I picked her up to carry her back into the office and she started throwing up!!! She collapsed in their office! Her gums were chalk white! Fortunately for Charm, the vet that was filling in works primarily at an emergency animal care clinic. She knew exactly what to do. They had to start an IV and give her steroids, benedryl, epinephrine (twice), and fluids to bring her around. It was a good 45 minutes before they had her stable enough for me to take her to the ER hospital where she had to stay all night. She had to be monitored 24 hrs, IV fluids 24 hrs, and benedryl 30mg every 8 hrs. She's home now acting pretty much like a normal 4 month old puppy. She has to take 25mg benedryl every 8 hrs for the next 5 days in case of a relapse. So PLEASE everyone send boxer world healing vibes to Charm. She had a ruff weekend and one terrified mommy!!!! And I know this much... always trust your breeder....although we discussed it and she agreed, she wasn't thrilled about giving the Lepto and she was right!!!!

Last edited:

jo.mcqueen

Boxer Booster
Poor you and poor Charm! I'm glad they managed to bring her around you must have been terrified!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Healing Vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love Jo
and Big Licks from Saffie

marvie

Boxer Booster
Oh poor baby .. healing vibes coming your way from lylah,paris, and me
(((((((((((((((healingvibes))))))))))))))

craZ4HERKIE

Boxer Insane
Awww poor baby! Thanks goodness Charm is ok! I know how terrified you must have been, and thank goodness you decided to hang aroung the vets for a few minutes....otherwise..it may have been worse. Sending lots of healing vibes that Charm is feeling better soon.

Austin's Mom

Boxer Insane
OMG How scary for you. I'm glad Charm is home and feeling better. Sending <<<<<<<<<<positive>>>>>>>>>> vibes that there will not be a relapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.