1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cook or Raw

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by luvmybxrs, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

I figured out I can probably save money and feed my dogs better by homecooking or doing raw - here are my draw backs.

I can't do bones as my dogs don't chew - ever. One of them insists on swallowing stuff whole or in big chunks and I've pulled multiple things out of his throat.

Salmonella - with the Raw...How much do I really have to worry about this.

Vitamins - is there a product like a multi vitamin you guys out there recommend as I have found so many.

I'm willing to cook and potentially do raw - it freaks me out a little but I'll do what's best for them :o)

Thanks again guys, Boxers Rock! :D

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

My preference is for raw. IMO it's easier - less time involved because you're not cooking it, first of all. And also cooking kills the nutrients, so it is harder to keep a homecooked diet balanced because you have to add all the nutrients back in.

You really don't have to worry about salmonella. Not for your dog at least. Obviously safe food handling needs to be practiced just like you would if you were preparing burgers for your family, so that no -people- get sick. But dogs are so much better equipped to deal with bacteria than we are. They are efficient at digesting raw meat, and their digestive tracts are short, so bacteria doesn't really get a chance to start growing. It's just what they're made to eat. Kibble is a relatively new invention, in the grand scheme of things. It's been around for less than 100 years. And dogs have been domesticated for... thousands of years? They are used to eating scraps of who knows what without suffering ill effects :)

For raw you don't need any added supplements. With homecooked you would, but I honestly don't know what or how much etc.

This site is a pretty good raw resource: http://www.preymodel raw.com/
    (Remove the space... this site won't let me post the link without it).

3. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

Thank you so much. So i guess it's my own skeeviness i have to get over haha
    i went out today and bought honest kitchen then one you have to add meat too. i guess i will start out with it, make sure they do well, then transition from cooked meat to raw - only because i just cooked a bunch today! :D

4. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

just out of curiosity - what if i cant give my dog bone, one of mine will literally swallow everything whole. it causes concern for me that he will either choke, or swallow it and get an intestinal blockage. any helpful hints?

5. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

You could stick with The Honest Kitchen if you wanted and even continue cooking the meat, since the base mix that you're adding it to has vitamins and minerals added to it :) I have Juno on Sojos which is along the same lines as THK, for me it's easier than preparing my own diet from scratch, and it ends up being cheaper... but still has a lot of the same benefits and she does awesome on it!

Juno is a gulper too so if she gets bones I have to hold it for her, which forces her to chew. lol. Which yes was gross to me because I hate touching raw meat. But that's something too you wouldn't have to worry about if you stick with THK, unless you want chewing for the dental benefits. Some people say giving them frozen bones makes them chew rather than gulp.

6. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

I used to give them marrow bones, raw ones. But they would never eat the bone, just lick the middle out lol
    Are they meant to be able to eat this bone? It seems so hard like they could never chew it, or they would break a tooth or something?

7. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Marrow bones are way too hard for them to eat. They are often called tooth breakers if they try to eat them. :( Most beef bones are too hard. Chicken, pork, lamb are fine. You should avoid weight bearing bones. They should only be given if they have a lot of meat on them.

8. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

i thought pork was bad for them? I dont remember why but i thought i read it somewhere? Do you have any input on this?

Like could I grind up a pork tenderloin, cook it and feed it with their honest kitchen??

9. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Pork is just fine. I don't know why some people think it is bad for them. I would get a cheaper cut of pork, like shoulder. Then he can eat the bones too. No need to grind it. I would just cut it into pieces, at least to start with.

10. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

Thanks Jan, I will definitely try pork also. They have never had it except for the odd sneaky scrap of bacon every now and again - and that's only like a crumb as it's fatty! :)

I'm just going to buy some more honest kitchen and maybe i'll also try sojos, i'm shocked at the difference in Loki's coat already, it's softer and shinier and they have only been on the HK with meat for just over a week. I also add in some veggies that are blended and steamed (sometimes depending what veg it is) and some pure pumpkin since I know they need the fiber, especially my brindle. They also love the food, they sit and stare at me whle i make it and i've never had them do that, im glad they like it so much and i know it's gotta be better than kibble even tho i was feeding them the highest quality kibble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.