1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hip dysplasia

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by lululove, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lululove

lululove Boxer Booster

Well I am back from the vets and just got the results of Lulu's x-rays. She is only 20 months and has hip dysplasia..As I mentioned in previous threads she was having a hard time sitting, etc...I am so upset..I would love some advice . I know some of you have been through this...She is the most active girl at the dog park. Her left side was starting to atraphy (sp), . The vet said this was because she is in pain and was favoring it..She gave me some rimadyl and said to give her glucosomine and chondrontin...I am so upset....

2. GDOGS1

GDOGS1 Boxer Insane

Well no advice here, as i have never had to deal with hip dysplasia. but am sending some of those good ol' boxer healing (((((vibes)))))

MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest

3. Sugarcain

Sugarcain Super Boxer

Poor baby Lulu :( I also have never had to deal with hip displaysia but some good healing boxer (((((vibes))))) are coming your way.

4. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Oh wow. I am so sorry to hear this news. That is so young. Did you get her from a breeder who health tested for HD? Did you have a health guarantee?

5. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

My friend has an american bulldog who has really bad dysplasia. His x-rays look like a softball sitting on a table - there is almost no hip socket at all on both sides. He too is very young, almost 3 years old. She has very good things to say about Cosequin. It includes glucosamine, chondroitin and vitamin C. Tiller is worst in the winter because of the cold but remains very active in the warm months. He too has started to atrophy in the back but is handling things fairly well. Tiller isn't a good candidate for surgery so Cosequin has been the only thing used to help him.

6. lululove

lululove Boxer Booster

Where do I get cosequin..Is it prescription..The vet gave me Rimadyl, but am reading some bad things about it..I did buy her from a reputable breeder. She does screen for HD..Her mom and dad are fine and she has had no other pups with HD...

7. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

You don't need a prescription for it. I know that Drs. Foster and Smith sell it. You might want to google it and see where you can get it at the best price.

8. crazychopper

crazychopper Boxer Booster

my guy was diagnosed with hd at 2 yrs and he had surgery short while after. My suggestion get on glucosimine chondrotin and fish oil right now. And the best thing is get her swimming. My dog is now 5 and I only give him anti inflammatories when he really needs them. Massage and walking and very important as well. good luck

9. CallieGirl

CallieGirl Boxer Pal

I also have a 2yr old who I just found out has hd. We went to the vet for her liming and after some xrays they found 2 cysts in her knees and mild hd. I can't believe this young and she is having so many health issues. The vet perscribes Phycox which is a joint supplement and Rimadyl as needed for discomfort. Now I'm kinda of concerned with the Rimadyl after doing some research on it. Sending you good boxer healing ((((vibes)))) and I know what you are going through.

10. lululove

lululove Boxer Booster

Calliegirl...Thanks for the reply..I also do not want to use the Rimadyl..I heard about cosequin which you can get at the pet stores. However, that same company has come out with a even better product for dogs with HD, it is called Dosequin..You have to get it at a Vet, but you do not need a prescription..It is very pricey..I paid 119.00 for 120 chewable tablets. But this is my baby and if this will help her I am going to give it a sincere try...
    I am still taking LuLu to dog park, so she can run and be a puppy...I am just going to be very careful, not jumping or rough play..Some of the other boxers she plays with there get very rough and like to run into her full speed..NO more of that..Please keep me posted on your baby. Is there any way we can exchange emails to support each other, etc. Thanks , Debbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.