1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking with your boxer on your back??

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by oessister, Jul 11, 2017.

1. oessister

oessister Boxer Pal

IMG_1134.JPG Ok, so, there really wasn't a good place for this question. I have a 1 yr old little guy that has centre nuclear myopathy, which is a disease of the legs. This means he can't run, jump or walk long distances. We both love being outside but he just can't enjoy walks. I've been searching alll over for a backpack carrier for a large dog with zero luck. I'm hoping someone either has one or knows where I can find one so he and I can explore Europe together. Thanks in advance.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I think it's great that you want to include your boxer and take him with you. I can't imagine that a boxer could be comfortable in a back pack for any length of time. Maybe a baby stroller would work better, though you would be restricted to smoother trails. Have you considered quarantine laws in Europe?

3. oessister

oessister Boxer Pal

He has a stroller already....that's how I managed to get him through the airport when we moved to Europe in January. We bike and walk with the stroller/bike cart now but would like to be able to take long hikes together as well. A pack of some sort will enable me to take him on the train with me as well vice having to try and maneuver his stroller.

4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

First off, OMG! What a cutie! I just want to kiss that face!
    Now back to your question. I doubt you will find one big enough for a boxer. Depending on how big you pup is, you may find one for a child and adapt it for your needs. Or buy a smaller one and use it as a guide and to make one big enough. Maybe a an alteration shop could help. The only other option would be a wagon designed for more rugged terrains.

I hope you find something and your pup can join you on your adventures. And please give that adorable boy a kiss for me!

5. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

ohhhh that face is just toooooo dang cute loveicon. Sorry no advice but i sure did enjoy seeing your handsome guy!

6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were living in Europe. Your location says Florida, you should probably change it. :) I think it is unlikely that you would find a back pack that would fit a boxer. I think you will have to get one specially made as Pam suggested.

You have a very handsome guy. He looks thin, but I bet he would still be heavy to carry.
    Good luck!

7. oessister

oessister Boxer Pal

Thx all. He's small due to his condition...only 28 lbs at last check. I have to carry him up and down stairs already so his weight isn't an issue. I've found only one online that may work but it's $400!!! He says thank you all for the compliments.

bxrbgood likes this.