1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High quality cat food....

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by johann, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johann

johann Boxer Insane

We lost our Gracie kitty to kidney disease right before Christmas. :( She had congenital kidney disease (polycystic kidneys), but we fed dry food at the recommendation of our vet for many years. Research showed that wet food was a better choice, and she thankfully had a few good years once we switched. Unfortunately, the only food Gracie would eat was Fancy Feast....so pretty low quality. :p

Now there's a new kitty in our lives....Marty. He's a 5 month old boy with a "docked" tail (not really docked, he's missing half of it for an unknown reason). :D

What are some high quality kitten/cat canned foods to feed him? He's eating Chicken soup for kittens (canned) with a little sprinkle of wellness core dry (leftover from Gracie).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/kateandcoco/IMG_1024.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/kateandcoco/IMG_1020.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/kateandcoco/IMG_1013.jpg

2. cantfindlog

cantfindlog Completely Boxer Crazy

I feed my Scooter Fromm grain free Surf and Turf, TOTW and had tried EVO with him. Some times I'll throw a bag of Natural Balance in if I need more rotation. He loves the Fromm and TOTW. So I trade off between the two brands and rotate his protein. I also feed him wet food such as Wellness, EVO, Tiki Cat and I just discovered the Wyson brand as you can buy that for the cat or the dog. Scooter and Leah love the Rabbit formula. I also give high quality treats to him. He loves the hard treats from EVO. I order those on line. He often gets "real" fish if I'm making fish or small cuts of meat, like chicken.

I learned the hard way with my last cat. I feed him SD before I knew better and he was a miserable cat. Always throwing up and then diabetes. At the end of his life I had started to switch to good food and I think that is what has "saved" Scooter. Scooter is 15 and is not over weight, doesn't have health problems and acts like he is a kitten.

I would say there are as many good cat foods out there as there are dog foods.

Marty is cute, he could be Scooters brother :)

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I had been feeding Wellness canned (Chicken and Salmon) since it is grain free for about 4 years. My girl has irritable bowel disease.
    About a month ago her diarrhea returned with a vengeance and after a bit of research I kept finding a similar trend with others feeding Wellness. Seems they added a portion of rice to their "grain fee" formulas hence rending that title incorrect. For some reason they used a portion of the rice that allows them to still claim they are grain free.
    It affected my girl in a bad way so I switched her to EVO canned (turkey and chicken) and the diarrhea is still present albeit not with as much frequency. EVO was bought out by a huge manufacturer and promised to keep the ingredients the same for 1 year (July 2011) so after that who knows what will happen.
    I have no idea what I need to switch her to to resolve the diarrhea issues and feel pretty lost! The search will continue for now.

4. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

Our kitten will be 6 months old in a week. I started out trying to feed him TOTW but I don't think it agreed with him. I then switched to Wellness kitten food and he loves it and has been doing great on it. I feed him both the canned kitten food and the dry kitten food. I do about half and half and mix then together and he loves it. I also leave out dry food all the time in case he gets hungry between feedings. This is the first cat I've owned (had cats growing up) so I'm a bit new to feeding cats myself. Like above, the vet also advised me to stop feeding him any canned food and just stick to dry food stating canned food will just make him fat. Half and half seemed to be working out good for us so I think we'll be sticking with that.

5. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Cats really should be fed mostly (or all) wet food diet. It's easiest for their kidneys and helps to prevent dehydration. Cats are not big water drinkers by nature, so any extra fluid they can get thru food is helpful (and dry food will dehydrate them further). We're going to slowly wean to an all wet food diet with this kitten like we had with Gracie. Just a FYI. :)

Thanks for all the ideas on foods. I bought some EVO canned and Marty seems to love it so far.....hopefully it will agree with his tummy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.