1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by EMCenter, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMCenter

EMCenter Boxer Pal

I know this may not be the correct place to post this but I was hoping to get a lot of views and this forum thread seems to be the most populated.

My Boxer, Tucker, has recently started to shed really, really, really bad! If he lays on my lap and gets up I am literally covered with hair. The other day we gave him a bath and he lost so much hair it was clogging the drain! Also, it takes little to no effort to just pull his fur out. He is not going bald but he is losing hair like crazy.

We recently switched him to a homecooked diet and I am thinking that maybe he is missing something from his diet. The recipe for his food is; Chicken thighs, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, apples, and sodium free green beans. Is there something that we are missing?

Ant help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Try adding some fish oil and vitamin e to his diet. You can add fish,like sardines, or a fish oil supplement. Fish oil can take up the body's vitamin e when it breaks it down to be used, so it is a good idea to add some vitamin e. 100 iu's if your dog is under 50 lbs. and 200 iu's for 50-100 lbs.

If that doesn't help have your dog tested for hypothyroidism. Shedding is often a symptom. In your case sense you changed the diet recently it isn't what I would suspect first off.

3. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

I second the oils - even adding extra virgin olive oil will help.
    This may sound odd... but also add cottage cheese to the recipe (assuming he's not lactose intolerant). When I make a batch of homemade that lasts about 3 days, I put in almost a cup of cottage cheese. I guess that means she's getting about 1-2 Tbsps a day. Don't get me wrong, she still sheds, but her coat is gorgeous and it's not extraneous shedding - just what I would expect as normal.

Make sure your homemade diet has all the right nutrients in it - there are lots of books out there, and pet nutritionists can help guide you - many will even provide service over the phone / email.

4. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

Is there any fat in his diet or are the chicken thighs skinless? He needs some fat. (oils are 100% fat, even vegetable oils) Also I'd suggest some kind of red meat in his meals, if you can afford it.

5. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

I also agree with the fish oil and vitamin e. When mine started shedding I added the oils and it worked wonders for the shedding as well as appearance of his coat. As a note we had to gradually add the fish oil to his diet cause it upset his stomach but once he was on the full dose per lb daily his tummy tolerated it just fine.

6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Are there bones in that chicken? You should probably add some liver or other offal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.