Help with outside!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
I am running out of ideas! Princess is almost 5 months old and I love her so dearly and would never give her up. That said, when I take her out she bolts out the door and whenever I open the door she tries to get out. I live in an apartment and there is not a fence around the yard. The street is about 50 feet out, traffic is usually slow as I am across from a school, but on the back side about the same distance is a busy street that is 35mph. Now, to comprimise my situation more I have 4 kids in my care ages 1 1/2 yrs, 8 mos, 4 yrs, and 5 yrs. I can't go running after her and just leave them for but a moment. Also she is a puppy so I can't make her wait to go out till she is calm, as I have heard recomended in other posts, she would just go on the floor. So problem #1, How do I get her to quit trying to get out everytime I open the door? Problem #2 when I do get her on her leash and open the door she bolts. Jerking my hand and wrist along too, smacking it into the door, screen door, mail box, and the pole holding up the small patio type roof, also bruising my wrist from simply pulling so hard. So....how do I get her to walk out a little calmer? Please, advice is desperately needed, I watch Emergency Vet all the time and see these poor babies after they have been hit and I don't want her to end up like that. And I am starting to have constant pain in my wrists and hands from the trauma of taking her out.
PLEASE HELP!!

Connie

martins

Boxer Booster
I'll try. . .
Here's my idea - I understand what you mean that she's young and when she needs to go she needs to go NOW so that's adding to the problem. How about taking her to the door at random times when she's not asking to go out to potty - I'm not sure from your post, but are the kids you watch only there during the daytime? Maybe you could work on it more in the evenings.

Try taking her to the door, put her leash on, have her sit/stay at the door, start to open the door (you probably won't have to even open it more than a hair), and if she even starts to lunge out, close door, take off leash and ignore her if she's excited to go out. Wait until she calms down and try again. I think she will figure it out. We had a similar problem, but it doesn't sound like Roscoe was quite as boisterous! We did this and now he's about 90 percent on sitting and staying, even with me walking out a couple of steps then telling him it's okay to come out with me.

Good luck!! hope I could help!

ThatsAlly

Boxer Booster
Lifesavers!!

Hello, I had a Newfoundland in the past and boy could that guy drag me down the street!! I bought something for him called a Halti while he and I were working on obendience (both his and mine ;) ) The Halti works like a halter on a horse, when they start to take off, the Halti will turn thier surprised head towards you and thier body stops moving. There is no pressure on thier throat like in a collar, and works great!!! You can get them at most pets stores and they are SO worth the $20 or so.

FlashyTitus

Super Boxer
Heres how I solved the problem. Have someone there to help you. You will need to use a long leash. When you get ready to go outside tell her to wait. If she attempts to bolt, have the other person to snap the leash quickly. Just make it a quick snap. Then make her sit. Tell her to wait, then open the door again. Repeat. It may take a week or two but she will catch on. Also, If you take her riding with you, you will need to do the same thing in the car with the leash handler standing on the opposite side with the leash through the window opening. DONT RIP HER HEAD OFF... Use a treat immediately when she does it right. I use hotdogs cut up into small pieces. Hope this helps.

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
I would take exception to FlashyTitus' answer regarding the "snapping" of the leash. If you do that from a distance, the chances are you are not using the leash correction properly and can hurt and damage your dog's throat. This is a dangerous practice and I would not recommend it. Any snapping of collars as a correction (which I also don't recommend) should be done with a downward motion, not up or to the side or back as these directions will damage the dog's throat. PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

I would agree that using a different door for training is an excellent idea. At times other than potty times, try using another door and call the dog to you at that door. Put the dog in a SIT/STAY and place the collar and leash on. If the dog starts jumping and such, immediatley take the collar and leash off, put it away and go have a cup of tea. Totally ignore the dog until he is calm and has been for at least 3 minutes. Then try again. If he tries to bolt, again, return him to the house, close the door, remove collar and leash and go have a cup of tea.

Also, always go out of the door first. If you have to hold the leash closer to you to accomplish this the first few times, so be it. The dog will learn that he must follow you out of the door and down the stairs, etc. NEVER let the dog lead you out the door or in the door when returning and don't let him lead you on the walk. When you walk if he pulls, turn and go in the opposite direction he is pulling, keeping him behind you or beside you and his focus on you. Random changes of direction and speed will keep the dog's focus on you not anything else.

And like a broken record, I recommend getting a copy of "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson and "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell. These books will be invaluable to you in training your dog.

Good luck.

FlashyTitus

Super Boxer
The reason that I use the snapping technique is because it makes me cringe when I see a pet owner at the park or beach tell their dog to come and the dog runs the other way as hard as he can. Fido does great in the back yard but when he catches the wiff of a sweet little poodle prancing through the park he get a mind of his own. Through my experience, I have found that a immediate correction works best. I only use this technique when I feel it for the dog safety. An when I tell him to come, stay, wait he knows that he must obey me under all circumstances. Whatever you prefer is totally up to you. If you use this method be very careful not to injure the dog. I saw a man completely turn his dog for a flip one day doin this. I got so mad that I approached him....well its a long story;) Train your dog well. You will enjoy her much more if you do. God Bless. And yes, I will pledge alligance to the flag too.

Status
Not open for further replies.