1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Cats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by YourFriendDeb, May 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YourFriendDeb

YourFriendDeb Completely Boxer Crazy

I have two adult cats (4 years old) male (Pounce) and female (Lucy). They have been together since they were 8 weeks old. For years they've been best of friends. They play together, sleep together...follow each other around the house..etc. They've both been fixed and both are declawed. They are strictly inside cats. Both visit the vet regularly and are up to date on all their shots.

My problem is...for the past few months, Lucy has been getting quite snotty with Pounce. If they're playing and she's had enough, she'll hiss and swat at him until he runs away. I know this is normal behavior for cats BUT..sometimes Pounce doesn't do ANYTHING. Lucy will be lying on the floor and he'll just WALK BY and she's hissing and biting at him. They don't hang out together like they used to anymore and from what I can see..it looks like its mostly Lucy's fault. Pounce isn't exactly "the sharpest knife in the drawer"...and sometimes he's not bright enough to back off when she hisses at him...therefore he's got a few battle scars from her.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? or what I can do to stop it?

2. kainesangelgirl

kainesangelgirl Guest

The only thing I could tell you is that my cats have been through stages like that. At long as their not scratching eachothers eyes out im sure they will get over it. Maybe one just feels a little left out. Good luck.

3. scarlet19

scarlet19 Guest

Hopefully it's just a phase. Poor Pounce he probaly doesn't know what's going on. Sorry I couldn't be any help.

4. jbee

jbee Boxer Booster

I own 3 cats all adult ages 4, 7 and 13. Strictly indoor and very much spoiled. It sounds as if Lucy might not feel well . Perhaps a look in her mouth to check her teeth. Two of my cats have had dental problems in the last year. Painful problems.
    Also think about what might be different in your home. Who's not there anymore, did you move a favorite sleeping spot.? Or give something to the other cat such as more attention. ?
    Has Lucy been as social with you.?
    Some things to think about. Take her to the vet and tell them she' s out of sorts. She might have an absess. Well you get the idea.:(

5. YourFriendDeb

YourFriendDeb Completely Boxer Crazy

Thanks for all the good advice. I do believe a visit to the vet may be in order.

To answer your question Joni...nothing has changed that I know of. If this had all started when we got our boxer, I would say that is the reason...but it started way before we got him. Lucy has always been "my" cat and Pounce, my husbands cat. Lucy is at the door when I get home from work and follows me around the house. If I'm in the living room watching tv, she's on the back of the couch. If I'm in the bedroom, she's lounged out on MY side of the bed. and...no kidding...if I go to the bathroom, she dashes in before I have time to close the door behind me.

Neither cat gets any more attention than the other. I just don't get what could be wrong!

Thanks much for your help!:)

6. Bumblebee

Bumblebee Boxer Pal

I agree with jbee. Something might have changed in your house that you are unaware of, or she is sick. Are you sure things did not get worse or start after you brought Legend home. That was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. I have five cats and in general they all get a long, but Diva is quite the lonner and can get pissy at times. It started for her after we brought the male cats home and then the dogs. She still can't be in the same room as either of our dogs. Let me know what you find out.

7. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

That was my first thought, is that for some reason, Lucy might not be feeling well. My parents' just took their well-cared for cat to the vet, because he seemed nastier than usual, and he had dental problems. My folks were upset that they hadn't noticed sooner, but the vet assured them that cats can be difficult to read when they're hurting - they're good at hiding it from us!

Also, are you sure Pounce isn't enjoying "playing dumb"?

If Lucy's health checks out, then let's hope it's just a social phase....for your sake as well as the cats'! ;)

8. BoxerMomof1

BoxerMomof1 Boxer Booster

I have haad my cats go thought that. it takes time. if the kitty has no health reason to do it they should stop soon. i would have vet checked to make sure that nothing is wrong and go from
    there...............................Debbie

mom to 5 spoiled felines,one cocky cockateil and a hard to handle boxer pup

9. Eddie's  mom

Eddie's mom Guest

Sorry can't help, my Purr-Key HATES other cats, always has, will beat them up badly. Only one cat in this house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.