Help with allergie issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalabear

Super Boxer
Reo has hives and has for a few days now. A few weeks ago he had a issue with his pancreas and so he has only been getting his dog food. Before the issue he got an egg every morning and got coconut oil twice a day with his meals. Nothing else has changed. We haven;t been anywere done anything and yet he has hives. The vet said they were contact allergies and that something was setting him off but what? And binadryl makes him so loopy its unreal. The vet gave him a shot to help with the hives....it didn't and the binadryl really isn't doing anything either.

I don't know what to do to help him. He definetly iches and it is bothering him. How do I help and what could possibly be causeing this now? I am so confused.

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Could be something in your carpet, something in the air, something in your yard, a bug that bit him (mosquito maybe?), unfortunately it really could be anything. Could be his bedding and whatever laundry soap you use. Process of elimination. Could also be stress. My dog broke out in hives when we spent 3 days moving across the country and he was stressed out. A 10 day course of Benadryl and Prednisone fixed him up and he never had an issue again.

Good luck.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
You really do need to just do a process of elimination to figure it out. Have any of the products you use to clean come out with a "new and improved fomula"? (I cringe when I read those words- I have sensitive skin and can only use one type of detergent and my dh has an allergy to many fabric softeners. Hotels sheets can be a nightmare for us.) In the meantime for a quick and temporary relief, a cool damp towel can be soothing if he is really itching at some point. Some people have had better luck with Claritan (I think that's the right stuff) over benedryl for their dog's allergies. I don't know the dosage, tho'. Hopefully someone will chime in with more info. To be honest with you, my guess is not so much as what is causing it, but what is missing that had prevented it from happening from before...the coconut oil. I've read some great things about this and how it helps some dogs fight off skin issues. Hopefully his pancreatic issues resolve soon and he can get back on it. Sending lots of healthy ((vibes)) to Reo!

nalabear

Super Boxer
Could be something in your carpet, something in the air, something in your yard, a bug that bit him (mosquito maybe?), unfortunately it really could be anything. Could be his bedding and whatever laundry soap you use. Process of elimination. Could also be stress. My dog broke out in hives when we spent 3 days moving across the country and he was stressed out. A 10 day course of Benadryl and Prednisone fixed him up and he never had an issue again.
Good luck.

Thats what I was affraid of :( I know we haven't added or taken away anything in our home. No new stuff at all. No changes is anything except what he eats. Ugh this stinks.

You really do need to just do a process of elimination to figure it out. Have any of the products you use to clean come out with a "new and improved fomula"? (I cringe when I read those words- I have sensitive skin and can only use one type of detergent and my dh has an allergy to many fabric softeners. Hotels sheets can be a nightmare for us.) In the meantime for a quick and temporary relief, a cool damp towel can be soothing if he is really itching at some point. Some people have had better luck with Claritan (I think that's the right stuff) over benedryl for their dog's allergies. I don't know the dosage, tho'. Hopefully someone will chime in with more info. To be honest with you, my guess is not so much as what is causing it, but what is missing that had prevented it from happening from before...the coconut oil. I've read some great things about this and how it helps some dogs fight off skin issues. Hopefully his pancreatic issues resolve soon and he can get back on it. Sending lots of healthy ((vibes)) to Reo!

No product changes that I am aware of. I was wondering the same thing about the coconut oil but thought maybe I was just missing something. I know it has helped Nala out alot with her allergies this year.
She actually didn't need to see the vet or take any Benadryl this year at all. We were very excited about that :) I will have to check into the claritan and see what the vet says if the hives don't go away soon.

Reo and I say thanks for the healthy (((Vibes))).

Thank you both for your input.

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Thats what I was affraid of :( I know we haven't added or taken away anything in our home. No new stuff at all. No changes is anything except what he eats. Ugh this stinks.

No product changes that I am aware of. I was wondering the same thing about the coconut oil but thought maybe I was just missing something. I know it has helped Nala out alot with her allergies this year.
She actually didn't need to see the vet or take any Benadryl this year at all. We were very excited about that :) I will have to check into the claritan and see what the vet says if the hives don't go away soon.

Reo and I say thanks for the healthy (((Vibes))).

Thank you both for your input.

Also remember that allergies can progress. He may not have been allergic to your laundry detergent in the past, but BAM one night became allergic to it. Things can *unknowingly* progress until you notice the physical symptom. So just because nothing in your home has changed, doesn't mean he didn't acquire an allergy to something in your home. Hopefully that makes sense.

Like lamb, my dog was fine with it for a couple of years...then he became allergic to it and can no longer have it. Same with beef. And his mosquito allergy gets worse each year.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.