1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with a cat!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Lizzie, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Boxer Insane

I have a cat that appears to have adopted me - long story, short - she turned up literally two days after Diva went to the rainbow bridge - and hasn't left. I don't have a problem with this as I don't mind cats and she was such a mangy sorry looking animal that I couldn't in good conscience turn her away!
    My problem is that I know next to nothing about cats - the last cat I had was when I was a kid/teenager - that was some time ago now :p

To me she looks like a young cat - teeth are all good and very white and she is quite playful. I am still in the process of gaining her full trust, but she will come inside now and will even cuddle for awhile. I just don't want to end up with a litter of kittens and I'm not sure at what age this could happen. I am happy to have her speyed, but I really don't want to do this just yet until I have gained her trust a bit more.

Any advice welcome! Thanks

PS, she is what I believe called a silver tabby with long hair and she has the most beautiful green eyes. I started calling her grey-stray, but am now calling her Gracie.

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I am one that believes that everything happens for a reason. And in your case, my heart opens to that little kitty who found her way into your heart. I would even go as far as to think that Diva sent this poor, lonely girl your way to fill that gaping hole that has appeared since Diva left. Diva wouldn't want you to be lonely, and knew how big your heart was. Maybe she felt you needed another soul to help fill some of it back up?

Either way, I am very thankful you opened your home and heart to this little one and am sure Diva is looking down watching, in full content of her work. She would want you to live and love again. This kitty was just the right soul to work Diva's magic once again.

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

If you don't want a litter of kittens (good call, BTW)....get her to a vet ASAP and spay her. Cats can get pregnant very young, so if she looks pretty full grown, you could be in trouble. During her recovery, you should keep her inside for a while until the incision heals, which will give you tons of time to bond and build trust.

I'd recommend a good scratching post to save your furniture (one standing and one that lays on the floor) and some cat toys to keep her occupied.

Cat food manufacturers are about the same as dog food- so look for a brand that you would trust to have fed Diva. Cats should eat at least partially canned food to help prevent kidney issues as they age (don't have a strong drive to drink, so end up chronically dehydrated from just kibble). BG, Weruva, TOTW, and BFF are all good options to look at for canned food.

Thank you for saving her. I bet Diva is watching and is very happy that you have a new pet to love. I love silver tabby long haired cat- I had one that was also named gracie.

4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Congrats on your new family member! I am sure Diva knew you need some love as well as this kitten did and aranged the meeting.

I agree get her in as soon as humanly possible. I had a cat when I was much younger and I swear she would get pregnant as soon as she had weaned a litter. (I had a not very nice nickname for her) I had very little money in those days and by the time she was on her third litter in a year I finally found an agency to fix her and the one kitten I kept for free. People start avoiding you when you try to give away 15-18 kittens in a year.

Please also remember you need to get her in to get her shots.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  5. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Great advise from all of the above,I also think that she was Diva sent.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Boxer Insane

Thanks everyone. This little Gracie is very sweet, except for the couple of times she has started scratching at my sofa dohicon I have also come to the conclusion that unlike dogs, cats do not respond to a verbal reprimand such as ah ah or no - cats just look at you in a challenging way :D

I have managed to worm her and also to cut away some matting around her neck (this was within the first couple of weeks when she just turned up). I fully intend to get her speyed very soon and at the same time get her shots. I have been feeding her dry food, but will alos start giving her some canned stuff - I didn't know about that.

A couple of friends have also said to me, and I have thought it, that Diva sent Gracie and this could well be the case, but the only thing that I ponder about this is that in life Diva hated cats :LOL:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.