1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!! My dog is eating my house...

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Audra, Jul 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audra

Audra Boxer Booster

Help!!! I have a 1yr old springer spaniel/labrador mix who is eating me out of house and home. He literally eats things....my shoes, clothes, underwear(yuck), comforter. I don't know what to do. He is crated during the day while I'm at work, has free roam of the house in the evening, and then he sleeps in my bedroom at night. It's during the night when he is destructive. He has plenty of bones (which he loves) to chew on, but he destroys most other toys. He loves plush toys, but he bits a hole in them in less than 20 minutes and it gets taken away. He has a kong, but it doesn't interest him. I don't want to crate him at night too, that would be close to 19 hours a day. What can I do? Please help, any suggestions would be a blessing.

Thanks,
    Audra

2. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Have you tried peanut butter inside his kong toy?

You can buy plush toys at thrift shops for pennies, if you want to try surrounding him with those.

Does he get exercised regularly? You might try taking him for a very long walk/run each night before bed, or have a long wrestling match in the house. Springers have high exercise needs.

A lot of people have written about dogs with chronic underclothing or sock chewing habits - you're certainly not alone with that problem. They just smell too much like Mommy to resist!

My boxers were terrible at your dog's age. With time and patience, they got better, and are now 99% reliable. (Not 100%, but 99% isn't bad...;).) I had a lot of personal strife in my life when they were 0-3 years old, so they didn't get much training. One day, I just sat on the floor and cried when I saw what they'd done! They really did seem to outgrow it. Don't give up! I heard a trainer say that the shelters are full of 1-2 year old dogs whose owners gave up on them. I know you wouldn't:), but some people don't take their commitment to their dog seriously.smashicon

3. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

My boxer Lexi literally ate our house from window sills, carpet and padding, couches, dining room table, an airconditioning unit, lightbulbs, shoes, belts, numerous comforters, curtains, oh the list could go on. It does get better ;) I second Linda's advice on exercise, exercise, exercise. At that age they require alot of it and unfortunantly a brisk walk around the neighborhood isn't going to cut it. Throw a toy and have him retrieve it for about 15 minutes, take a walk around the block, play frisbee in the back yard, give him a good 45 minutes of exercise and he will sleep well. Our chew through fleece toys in no time but they love them so we order ours from http://www.dollarpets.com You can get free shipping if you order $50.00 worth of toys and believe me you can get 40 toys for $50.00. GREAT investment! Don't give up on your little guy. I would also take him to obedience training. I was one of those people who said, I can train my own dog to sit. There is alot more to it than that and boy did it boost my girls self esteem. Between the training, the kong (put in fruit loops and a slab of peanut butter on top, freeze overnight and voila 20 minutes of pure fun for your pooch ;) ) and lots of exercise I have a well behaved and adjusted 3 year old! Hugs to you, I know first hand how difficult it is to get through the destructive phase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.