Help me plan my vacation,please! Attention East Coasters!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robyn

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hey guys! I do not know if I should post this at all but it does say, non-dog related so here goes...Because I respect your opinions I have a question.

We have decided to go on an impromtu mini vacation sort of for my big 30 b-day in Aug. We will have to go sometime in the first two weeks because Matt has to be back to school two weeks before the kids. (he's a fifth grade teacher). We live in Northern MD and have not been anywhere ever other than Ocean City, MD and to Disney World (18 times
rolleyes.gif
, God, I love that place!)and to Key West. Obviously, We are not well travelled. We thought we would try to be a little daring and go where no Bedsaul has been before...three options here...Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard, Cape May, or The Outer Banks,N.C. Unless you all have some other ideas. Let me tell you some stuff about us. We do not want to drive more than 8 hours, we have 4 year old twins, we are not major beach people but like the water and would like to get the kids to the beach at least one day, like to nose around antique stores and shops, like to walk, like nature, like to ride bikes, do not like glitz and neony type places, prefer a bit of a slower paced place but not dead. Also, we realize we will have to stay in a Hotel or B & B so I think this might rule out the outer banks. Any ideas? We are open for sugestions? Unfortunately after all this I'm still afraid the hubby will back out and we will end up.....in the backyard! Just kidding.

Ona, you work at a hotel in Lewes? That's pretty close, can you give me some info on the area. We are also sort of thinking about Bethany Beach.

Thank You everyone!

Ona

Boxer Booster
Robyn,

I work at a motel in Rehoboth Beach. We are very close to you. There is a lot of fun stuff to do too. The beach is nice and short (unlike Wildwood where you have to walk a mile to the water.) There is a small amusment (sp?) park with games and stuff for all ages. Rehoboth is very family friendly. We are just a 30-45 min. drive to Ocean City MD. There are countless number of Anique shops, mini golf and go-cart tracks. We are 7 miles from the Cape Henlopen State Park, where there is a nature center, walking/biking trails, it is paved and weaves though the park. There are deer and other wild live that is not afraid of people. The downtown area is full of quaint shops and cafe's. The State Park is also where the Cape May/ Lewes Ferry is. It is a 70 min. ride to Cape May.

Our rates at the motel, The Crosswinds Motel for you family would be $105.00 from Sunday- Thursday and $135.00 for the weekends. The rooms all have small fridges and coffee makers. You can bring a micromave if you like. CALL ME I will be here till 11pm Sunday night and the hours of 9-5 on Monday. I would love to have Boxer poeple here!!
(302)227-7997
Our Motel can be seen at www.beach-net.com/crosswindsmotel

------------------
Ona
Derek-rainbow bridge at 14 and 1/2
Tyler-rainbow bridge at 10 months
Currently dogless

Robyn

Completely Boxer Crazy
ONA, YOU ARE SWEET!!!! Thanks for the info. We just got home from IKEA, I have to leave for work in a minute. I'll email again when I get home. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robyn
smile.gif

Jennifer(Jenny)Jones

Boxer Booster
You didn't say where you got your fur-baby from but I got mine from a breeder I been keeping in touch with and asked her if she would kennel him while I go on vacation and she was all for it. She wanted to see her baby again too!!! She's about an hours drive (one way) from here but well worth the drive.
I kennel him at my vets kennel for weekends though. Hope this helps

Baxter's mom:2 1/2 year old totally spoiled flashy brindle male bxr

Suzanna828

Boxer Booster
Hi Robyn. I sent you an e-mail on this.
smile.gif

------------------
Suzanna - Mom to Jake, 2 year old fawn male, floppy ears, docked tail

I assume you will NOT be taking the dog, esp. with twins. Be very careful where you leave him.

For those who travel with the dogs, be aware "Dog Friendly" may mean "Friendly dogs, under 30 pounds, preferably 1". Some hotels will not allow you to leave the dog in the room unattended, so forget nice restaurant dinners. If you take the dogs (2 Boxers, 1 Dachsund) like we did to Fla Keys, Miami Beach, Orlando and Nashville, be unp-front and honest about size and #, and get the name (plus jot down date & time of call). You do NOT want any surprises when you have dogs outside in the minivan waiting to check in. Call back and double-check.

My husband got an OK, and he called back a month before departure, only to be told by this person that the Boxers were too big. Although he had the person's name, he decided he had the time NOT to push it-just find somewhere else. The place he called next actually kept hubby on the phone discussing nice dog stuff/pet lover on other end! So, we knew they were truly "Pet friendly".

Robyn

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks for your concern about Cooper.
smile.gif
I forgot to mention what we were going to do about him!
rolleyes.gif

Cooper has a best doggie buddy named Sidney, who is a 2 year old yellow lab. His parents happen to be our great friends and they only live about 2 minutes away. Cooper and Sidney play about 2 to 3 times a week. Our friends would watch Cooper at their house. They have a VERY large wooded and fenced back yard that Cooper absolutely LOVES. They also have neighbors with labs on either side of their house. Cooper has an absolute blast when we go there. Our friends are considering getting another dog (a rescue lab)and are interested in what it would be like to have two around the house. Sidney is TERRIBLY SPOILED, even more so than Cooper(unbelievable, I know!)and he probably will not want to leave. The funny thing is Cooper is better behaved, so maybe I can talk them into a rescue Boxer in the future!
biggrin.gif

Because Cooper is a rescue dog and we have had him about 6 months, I am afraid if I kennel him, he'll think we do not want to keep him. That would break my heart. He is very sensitive emotionally.

Suzanna828

Boxer Booster
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robyn:
Because Cooper is a rescue dog and we have had him about 6 months, I am afraid if I kennel him, he'll think we do not want to keep him. That would break my heart. He is very sensitive emotionally. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robyn, I totally know how you feel. We adopted Jake from a rescue service 2 1/2 months ago, and every single time I leave the house it breaks my heart to think that he might be afraid we aren't coming back. His owners just moved and left him at the house.
mad.gif
The dog warden found him. We went away a few weeks ago and my wonderful sister stayed at the house with Jake. Of course I had to call in everyday, just like a new mother.
redface.gif
The first few nights she said Jake was sad. He kept taking my shoes out of the closet and laying with them, not chewing them or anything. Then, by the 3rd night, he was fine. Truthfully, although I was happy he was doing so well I was kind of upset, too. How could he not miss me anymore when I missed him like crazy? Bratt. I'm so selfish!
wink.gif
You are fortunate to have such good friends to take care of Cooper while you are away.

Also, Cape Cod is definitely further than Mystic. It's at the northern tip of Massachussetts, which is north of Connecticut. It takes us about 5 hours to get there, and we live right north of Manhattan. Mystic only takes about 1 1/2 hours.

------------------
Suzanna - Mom to Jake, 2 year old fawn male, floppy ears, docked tail

Robyn

Completely Boxer Crazy
Suzanna,
again, thanks for the great info! I checked out your links this a.m. and I'll show them to my husband when he gets home. Looks like a great place! I think my brain was not working last night. I think we decided IF we were to go to Cape Cod, we would do Martha's Vineyard. Yes, Mystic is MUCH closer, looks like about 5 1/2 hours. Martha's Vineyard looks like about almost 7. We are so conservative, it is sort of intimidating yet exciting to go to a new place! Your info sure helped! I'll keep you posted.
smile.gif

When we first got Cooper, the first few times he got in the car he was very aprehensive. I think he thought he would be going away again. Now, if you even whisper "Go bye bye", he's gone in a flash! He loves to go ANYWHERE! Sounds like your sister is very sweet. I love the fact that Jake layed on your shoes, cute! I wish dogs were welcome almost everywhere! Did you get Jake from Northeastern Boxer Rescue, Second Chance or another rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.