1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me help my dog gain weight! Please!

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Oliwood, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

They will usually start filling out between 2-3 years old.

2. liamsmom

liamsmom Super Boxer

LOL :)
    i'm cracking up!!!
    i love the "walking skeleton phase" analogy.
    Liam is very lean...always has been. he will be two years old this coming April.
    every single time we go to the vet.......the first thing i ask IS HE TOO THIN?
    every single time the vet replies........NO...HE'S YOUNG AND ACTIVE AND JUST A LEAN DOG.
    we feed Orijen...and we've tried feeding more...but then he just poops more.
    his coat is shiney....his eyes are bright. he's VERY VERY active. and loves life.
    he's far from lethargic...believe me!
    i hope at some point Liam puts on some weight. but if he doesn't....he doesn't. we'll love either way.
    we call him Daddy Longlegs because he's got pretty long legs when we compare him to other boxers...and he's lean....so he appears thinner than most other boxers because of the long legs.

3. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

If I recall correctly, raw meat of any kind should not be mixed with kibble. The bacteria in raw meat is not of particular danger for raw-fed dogs because the meat is digested so quickly. However, kibble is digested more slowly, and if raw meat is fed with it, the whole meal is digested slowly, resulting in a greater risk of the bacteria causing problems. If you want to feed hamburger with kibble, I would think cooking it would be the better choice. One of the reasons for feeding raw meat is that the bone can be included. Most raw bones do not splinter when eaten and do not pose the risk of injuring a dog as cooked bones do. Since you are feeding hamburger, there is no danger from cooked bones that could splinter. I'd cook the hambuger. Besides, I have heard that ground meat usually has more bacteria than meat that is not ground. Just my $.02 worth.

4. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

Jan addressed this previously in this post on page one.

5. beausmommy

beausmommy Boxer Insane

Beau is 4 and has always been on the thin side but it seems that the higher the quality of the food he eats the skinnier he gets. I actually resorted to feeding him Pedigree to get him to gain weight since his ribs, spine and hip bones were protruding when he was eating food like Innova Evo and Barking at the Moon even when I was adding meat, cheese, eggs, etc. About a month and a half ago I switched him to Canidae and noticed weight loss within one week. After that bag I switched him to the duck formula of Eagle Pack Holistic and he still continued to lose weight to the point that he looked like a bag of bones. One of my co-workers owns show dogs (cocker spaniels) and she was shocked when I showed her pictures of how Beau looked on the EPH (it's what she feeds and she highly recommended it). I know it may not be ideal but I supplement the maximum daily suggestion of Eagle Pack Holistic with 2 cups of Pedigree every day. It might not be the healthiest thing to do but I can't stand for Beau to be so bony and it seems to be the only thing that has worked.

6. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

In my experience until they are at least two years old, with my last girl she did not really fill out until she was three :)

7. cocoboxers

cocoboxers Boxer Booster

It's funny that you say this as I have wondered the same about my little guy. When we got him, the breeder was feeing him Royal Canin, which we quickly switched to Canidae. After a couple of weeks, he had barely gained a pound. Then, after he developed pneumonia, he wouldn't gain weight at all! I'm sure that his illness probably didn't help his weight gain, but he still ate 3 cups of food a day - which should have been enough to gain something. So, we started mixing in canned food (meat and broth) with the Canidae. After a couple of weeks, he had gained 4 pounds. So, perhaps this may be something to look into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.