1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me help my dog gain weight! Please!

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Oliwood, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oliwood

Oliwood Boxer Buddy

I have tried a number of kibbles (Canidae, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Chicken Soup, the prescription stuff from the vet...), but no matter what Nike will not gain weight. He just wont eat more than 2-4 cups per day, even if I put more in his bowl. I don't have a recent picture, but take my word for it, Nike is skinny and needs to put on a good 10 - 15 pounds.

I am looking for a healthy food that no dog can resist than will help him gain weight. I would love to switch to RAW, but that is not a realistic option for me at this point.

I am wondering if anyone has a food "supplement" that I can give him fairly regularily and mix with his kibble that I know he will eat.

I have a couple of potentials listed here, but I would like to hear input from the number of more knowledgeable boxer owners who read these boards

- raw ground beef I buy from the grocery store (what fat percent? is that safe to just give him not cooked and mix with kibble?)
    - cooked ground beef
    - cooked chicken
    - eggs (scrambled?)

Thanks in advance

2. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

You don't want to overfed them on the kibble, you can cause upset tummy and runny stools. I would add meat to his meals, lightly cooked or raw. On the hamburger, you don't have to buy expensive lean. If he is young, he is probably burning a lot of calories right now. I wouldn't worry too much about his weight unless you can see every bone in his body. If the vet has checked him out and he is okay medically, I wouldn't worry much about it. As he gets older he will gain weight and put on muscle. But, you can definately try adding meat to the diet with the kibble. Maybe give him a kong stuffed with treats for a snack during the day. Maybe try a grainless kibble with more protein content, if you are comfortable with that. There are some great grainless puppy foods on the 6 star list at dogfoodanalysis.com. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  3. HurricaneBox

HurricaneBox Boxer Insane

I wouldn't feed kibble with the meat though, if you are going to supplement I would give kibble one meal and then meat the next. If you do a search, it is recommended because of the different digestion rates of kibble vs meat. Having him eat both at the same time could cause problems.

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I believe it is raw with bones that causes the problem. Plain raw meat added to their kibble should be ok.

Adolescent boxer often go through, what I call, the walking skeleton phase. My Moto is looking like that now and he eats a lot. I wouldn't worry about it too much. He is old enough now that you could try some of the grainless kibbles, like Innova Evo. Most dogs love it.

5. Oliwood

Oliwood Boxer Buddy

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try mixing in some raw ground beef. I have been looking at other threads and see that people feed all different parts of chickens, turkey, cows, pigs, etc. This may be a stupid question, but where do you buy all of that? I will most likely just put some ground beef in from Harris Teeter (close to my house), and if I can find it I will try this grainless kibble (Innova Evo).

One final question... do most people feed the raw foods inside the house and in their normal food bowls? I can only imagine with the mess Nike makes with the Canidae kibble that if I give him raw meet and raw eggs, shell and all like I've seen on here, it would be a huge mess every meal?

6. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

Well, are you talking a whole chicken thigh? Or are you talking chopped up raw meat mixed with kibble? If you are meaning a whole thigh, you can feed it indoors on a plastic mat or tablecloth on the floor. Or you can use a towel, but you need to wash it every day. The plastic you can wipe off. You can put it in a bowl, but they will drag a thigh out of a bowl onto the floor anyway because it would be easier for them to eat. If you are cutting it and removing the bones to mix with kibble, then I think in the bowl is fine. There wouldn't be a need for them to drag it out since it is already in pieces. You can buy chicken liver, turkey part and cow part at a Super Walmart or usually a grocery store or butcher shop. Our Walmart carries these parts. If you can't find it, you could ask the closest meatmarket how you could get access to some. :)

7. HeatherLynnG

HeatherLynnG Super Boxer

We mix pre-made raw with our kibble and its really not that costly or messy. We love it because it gives our kids the vitamins and proteins that they don't get when they have just processed kibble. I highly suggest it and your pup will gobble it up. Natures Variety makes one as well as quite a few other companies. Just searched pre-packed raw or something of the sort on-line. Make sure you read the ingredients and that it lists a meat source as the first 2-3, then followed by fruits, vegtables, and such. I think you'll get a lot more nutrician that way versus using a single source meat to mix with the kibble.

Also we mix the raw with the food and they eat it indoors. They don't dare leave a drop on the floor. ;) As for eggs, I give those outside. Mine like to drop them so they crack and ooze so it wouldn't work well in the kitchen unless you mix with food. I only give them raw eggs once a week, and then carrots/apples/bananas for treats.

Good luck!!!

8. HurricaneBox

HurricaneBox Boxer Insane

Ah I see. Thanks for the correction, Jan! :)

9. Oliwood

Oliwood Boxer Buddy

I don't know what kind of chicken thigh I am talking about. I have never fed raw and I am not looking to switch completely... I just want to give him some raw food in addition to Innova Evo kibble.

10. RolenKisses

RolenKisses Boxer Insane

I'm curious, How long does this "walking skeleton phase" last? Rolen's almost 18 months old and he's skinny! I started him on the Innova EVO a month or so ago :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.