1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!I don't know how to convince him.

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by peytonsplace, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w_68

w_68 Boxer Pal

Hi

I have just got my new baby Boxer, Called Dharma... My husband was so against getting any dog especially a Boxer as he did not know anything about them.. I really stuck to my guns though, bought home books, things off the Internet about Boxers for him to read, it did take him awhile to show any interest at all in the books, but one day I came home and he read the lot..
    He finally gave it and we bought Dharma home 3 weeks ago.. My husband is so happy now with her, he loves her, spoils her alot more than I do.. Everyday he comes home with a new toy, be bought her bed, everything she owns he has bought home.... I know it is upsetting when you really want one and your partner doesn't, just bring home things about Boxers to show him they are a great dog and will be so loved... Once you get the Boxer your hubby will melt like mine.

Good luck.

W

2. alaska

alaska Boxer Booster

Did say what kind of dog he wants? I agree with everyone else, he just doesn't know yet that he will love a boxer. I would get a puppy, if there is a big problem, good breeders will always take the babies back.

3. hillberry

hillberry Boxer Pal

definately visit a breeder - it worked for me
    i have always wanted a boxer, my hubby wanted a smaller dog, scottie or similar. My friend keeps boxers and had recently had a litter, hubby and I went to visit, just for a look before going for a drink you understand (am I devious or what?)
    all the way to my friends my hubby kept saying: we are just going to look, I don't want a boxer, we can't get a dog yet, we need a small dog not a huge dog etc. All along I agreed, "yes dear, just looking, of course I won't ask for one etc.
    Well we got in the room with the whelping box, 9 gorgeous boxer babes, 30 seconds later I was asked "OK which one do you want!"
    I was very graceful in victory and let him choose the pup and its name. as long as it wa a boxer I was happy.
    Try the visiting trick, it might just work for you to & it's a lot less stressful than arguing and trying to force the issue.:D

4. peytonsplace

peytonsplace Guest

;) Thanks so much for the ideas and support. I really want this dog. I am going to print out a bunch of info and see if I can get him to read it. Part of his poblem is being subborn about everything and the other is he thinks that it is an aggressive looking dog. I guess he thinks that if it looks aggressive it will be agressive. But I don't think he has seen a boxer without its ears cropped. (Plus, I think, he thinks he wants a hunting breed. That is what he is used to.)
    Also, I have enlisted the aid of a friend who is bringing her boxer baby home next week. We are going to get together for dinner once the puppy settles in. Maybe if he sees one in person he will hopefully change his mind. If anybody can think of something else I could do let me know.
    I really wish I could just bring the puppy home when the time comes. :)

5. bxr_lvr

bxr_lvr Boxer Booster

Maybe you can get him to the dog show. That way he can meet several boxers and see them "up close and personal" before you bring one home. My husband isn't in love with our girl either. He won't let me get another, even though my boss was going to GIVE me a 2yr old male FREE!!!! Oh well, I live in hope! Hang in there and educate him with books, and get him to a show!

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

Leave a lot of boxer info and pictures laying around so he can see it and maybe he will do some reading! and then just take him to see some puppies and they will do the rest. If you can introduce him to some boxers you know of maybe. Or just let him read all these posts!

7. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I just had another idea...why not contact a good, reputable breeder and ask the terms (and contract) of a pet puppy. Ask what kind of guarentees there are for health and temperment, and if the breeder takes back pups that just don't work out for your family (as any good breeder will). This is also great info to share with your hubby and reassure him as well. Plus, if the breeder has some adults or pups to show your husband these would be prime specimens to introduce the breed.

Is there a boxer bash planned for your area? That would also be a great place to meet boxers and their people, and see how gentle and fun they are with everyone, including tiny kids.

Good luck!

Tamara

8. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Re: Man's perspective

ROFLMAO. You said it brother!! :D

9. Jen72

Jen72 Boxer Buddy

Help! I don't know how to convince him..

I hate to admit it, but I was just like your husband one year ago. My boyfriend is in the Air Force and had a boxer when he lived in Germany. It broke his heart when he could not bring her with him to the States. He did not know where he would be living, so he had to give her away.
    He told me for eight months that he wanted another boxer. I knew nothing about them and was not thrilled with the idea. I knew I would have to care for it when he was away and I thought it would be to difficult.
    We went almost every weekend for eight months to look at and for a boxer. As soon as I saw the first one I fell in love!! I then started doing research and read several books.
    When we got Maggie, I was amazed at how smart she was. We got her on September 8th. She was housetrained in five, yes five, days. My boyfriend got deployed on September 20th to fight the war on terrorism, so I started Maggie's training. I taught her to sit, stay, and lay down.
    I agree with everyone else. Get your husband near a boxer and get him some reading materials. You could also take him to a PetSmart or somewhere people take their dogs. Once he sees how sweet and friendly boxers are he will be sold. I know I am. I cannot wait to get another one!!
    Good luck!
    Jennifer
    Mom to Maggie

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

Check in this forum under post called searchng for picture and show your hubby this post! It will speak for itself! Good Luck :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.