1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Female in season!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Rabbitsmom, Aug 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbitsmom

Rabbitsmom Boxer Pal

Grace is almost 11 months old, and has just gone in heat. This is my first female dog and I have no idea how to handle this. I had intended to have her spayed before now, but nonetheless, here we are... I bought her this little velcro diaper thing and liners, but she hates it and takes it off when no one is watching. How long does this last and does anyone have any better ideas to handle the bleeding issue? Also, I have heard that there is a period of time that she will let males come around and a period of time that she will try to "escape". She can go in and out of the house when I am at work. Do I need to leave her locked in the house? Please pardon my ignorance in this area - any suggestions and information would be most helpful. I have asked several questions on the forum and trust the judgement and advice of the members here. (Grace would also be thankful. :) )

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Seasons last around 21-28 days. The "diapers" are the most efficient way to deal with the mess, but she should not wear them when you're not able to supervise or when she's crated or sleeping. If you forgo the diapers, old blankets on the couches/floor/crate/wherever she likes to lay will help, as will a really good carpet cleaner (I like Oxyclean myself).

Yes, you should be keeping her inside now - she should only go out on a leash. Dogs have been known to jump/dig under/chew through fences to get to a bitch in heat, and bitches do their utmost to be bred. It is their biological imperative. You might want to cut back her food somewhat, as she will not get as much exercise during this time. The "standard" breeding days are 10-12-14 - but bitches have been bred as early as 9 days and as late as 22 (probably earlier and later, but those are the ones I know of personally).

Once she has stopped having a discharge and her vulva is back to normal size, it's pretty likely that she's out of heat (although if you have a well-trained intact male that you can use to "check her out" - on lead - it might be helpful. If she's out, he won't show more than a casual interest in her.)

She may be a bit more emotional/crabby/clingy during this time, so try to be a bit understanding of that as well :)

3. Jmans Mom

Jmans Mom Boxer Pal

Stupid question??

I know this sound like a stupid question but after reading this I was thinking about my Jasmine. She's a year and a month old. She was spayed around 6 months old but recently she's been acting funny as far as trying to get out of the backyard to visit the male boxer next door and her privates (sorry for lack of a better word) seem a little swollen. Is this normal?? Please let me know. I might have to invest in a taller fence soon if this doesn't stop. Maybe she's just wants another boxer friend? Most of the time she just ignored him totally, or barks at him. But she's sniffing him through the fence and attempting to lick his face. Does anybody have any clues??

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

If she's spayed she should not be going through the hormonal changes associated with a heat cycle....The behavior may be related to her entering adolescence (rebellious teenager), but the swelling is something I'd consider asking the vet about. My spayed female has never had any swelling (she was spayed over a year ago).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.