1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! Boxer just got stung!

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Kira's Mom, Sep 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Boxer Pal

My 7 month old boxer just got stung by a bee (I think). She's acting like it got her on her muzzle. This has not happened before. Should I give her benedryl just in case. Or should I wait? How much? She weighs between 35 and 40 lbs.

------------------
    Kira-born 2/4/00, female, plain fawn, cropped, docked, and about to be spayed.
    Rocko- big brother to Kira, black lab, adopted at 2 years old, nuetered, born 3/2/95

2. Cindy and Lacie.

Cindy and Lacie. Guest

Gosh I wish I remembered the info I had, but i cant! Lacie had to go to the vet for hers because she ended up with a infection from hers. Watch the sight and listen to her breathing, I know Im not much help, but i just cant remember the dose for the bendryl and I would HATE to give you the wrong one.

------------------
    Cindy Corl
    Lacie female, brindle, natural ears,7-17-99

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Boxer Pal

She's sleeping right now and seems to be okay. It looks like she tried to catch the bee and the left side of her bottom lip is a bit swollen. Of course she won't let me look it.

------------------
    Rocko- big brother to Kira, black lab, adopted at 2 years old, nuetered, born 3/2/95

4. Boxer Crazy

Boxer Crazy Boxer Booster

I got this info from Jennifer a while ago and wrote it on the benadryl package so I would have it when I really need it. I always keep benadryl on hand just in case - and I've had to use it a few times.
    Dosage is 1- 25mg tablet for every 25 lbs. - or 1 mg per pound. Dosage can be doubled if hives appear.
    If it was my dog I'd give the benadryl now. When my dogs have been stung they broke out in hives later on.
    Good luck - I'm sure everything will be fine - but do watch her for a while to make sure she isn't having a severe reaction.

------------------
    Keisha - March 8/98 - female plain brindle with cropped ears
    Travis - May 14/00 - male flashy fawn with natural ears.
    Sammie - approx 11 yr. F/S Beagle X
    Riley - March 8/97 - F/S tri-color, long haired chihuahua
    Ed - the cat

5. Pat

Pat Boxer Booster

A rule of thumb is to give one to three milligrams per pound. but you should call your vet for dosage advice. Also, applying a cold compress to stings helps take the swelling down and dulls the pain.Wrap a handful of ice cubes in a washcloth or small towel and hold it on the area for at least five min-longer if your pet will hold still. It really is scary, Morgan got a wasp bite on her top lip, and it looked awful. I did put ice in it, and the swelling went down. I think it felt good, cuz she laid still the whole time. Good luck....

Pat: Morgans Mom-2 yr old fw.fe.

6. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Boxer Pal

Thanks for the info. I've got to go get some benadryl and then I'll try to put ice on it. I don't know how that will go, but I'll give it a try. Should I give her the benadryl just once or every few hours?

------------------

7. Pat

Pat Boxer Booster

Kira, my vet said 1-3mg per pound every 6-8 hrs. If the swelling goes down with one dose, I wouldn't think you'd need to give another.

Pat...

8. DeeDee & Clay Sewell

DeeDee & Clay Sewell Boxer Booster

Jolie got stung by a red wasp Thursday evening - nothing happened - then they got her again Friday evening. The nest was underneath our porch swing. It is no longer in existence, of course. I literally drowned them in bug spray. Sting my little puppy!! How awful. But, anyway, she was fine I don't know where she got stung the first time - I just heard her yelp and saw the wasp buzzing around her. The second time she was stung on the rump. It didn't even swell. She had a sore spot the first time

9. pep0987

pep0987 Super Boxer

Max has got stung by honey bees. It's hard to tell you how he looked the first time it was just alittle swollen , the next time his whole face was swolen we had to take him to the vet that time. He looked so horriable.

Max male fawn& flashy

------------------
    Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.