1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Both My Babies Need Help!

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Luana's Mom, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luana's Mom

Luana's Mom Boxer Buddy

Ok, Caira is comming home tommorow and she is way underweight for her age. I am wondering what is the best dry food to get her?What about wet food?Luana is still at the foster moms trying to gain weight they wont let me have her till she gaines 20 more pounds or so....So im sitting her contemplation what to feed them..Any one have any suggestions?Im going to ask the Vet too....

Thanks
    Janice and kids

2. Boxeracres

Boxeracres Banned

Suggestion

Hello I just wanted to let you know what I feed my rescues when they are under weight, all my dogs are on Iams but when I get rescues I feed Iams adult dry w/Iams canned puppy, half a can each feeding which I feed three times a day but you want to make sure there is more dry food than wet or they will have a loose stool,it works for me,hope everything goes fine. Amber

3. Cypress' Mom

Cypress' Mom Boxer Booster

Hi... I just wanted to say I feed Cypress Wellness1 1/4 dry twice daliy. He is carrying a few extra pounds so we cut back on his portions. It is my understanding it is very nutrient dense so with a normal weight dog the feedings are smaller. So my logic would follow that an underweight dog could eat double or triple that amount to gain weight. An example is I was feeding Purina Benifuls (horrible food) and he could have 4 1/2 cups a day to get the same amount of calories as the 2 and 1/2 of wellness. So instead of feeding 9 cups of a lower quality food, you would feed 5 cups of a premimum food to get the same amount of calories. And that way your dog is not eating 9 cups of food a day. Even a chow hound like my Cypress probably wouldn't want to consume that much food per day. That is just my thought on it. I'm not a vet or an expert but I would think you would want to feed more of a higher quality kibble than tons more of a lesser quality kibble. I'm sure somebody else will chime in with personal advice but I just wanted to chime in with my two cents. :) Bless you and your new babies.

4. Smooshie

Smooshie Boxer Booster

Satin balls are great for putting weight on a dog, and they LOVE them....here is the recipe (it is for a LARGE batch...so you may want to cut it down...or it can be frozen)

Ingredients

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
    1 lg. box of Total cereal
    1 lg. box oatmeal
    1 jar of wheat germ
    1 1/4 cup veg oil
    1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
    10 raw eggs AND shells
    10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
    pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

I would feed this (start with 1 quart sized package a day, split into two portions) along with a premium kibble (Canidae, Wellness, Innova, California Natural...etc.)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  5. Poetic_thing

Poetic_thing Boxer Insane

Yes go with a human grade kibble if your not into home cooking. Eagle Pack, Wellness, Nutro, Natural Balance, Canidae are really good kibble. To help to add weight you might want to also mix in some cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt (providing they don't have an issue with dairy products). I sometimes make my pup some gravy from real beef or chicken base - no salt, but I do add a little garlic for flavor - its a big hit. I also like to add some chopped up veggies (either raw or slightly cooked) for some variation. Good luck!

6. Luana's Mom

Luana's Mom Boxer Buddy

Well thank you all so much.... Ill keep you updated....

Janice & Caira & Luana

7. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Stay away from Iams, Eucanuba, Purina, and other "grocery store brands" as they are of very poor quality.

Check the labels of ingredients and compare Iams, for instance, to a quality kibble like Wellness, Canidae or Innova. You can do comparisons on line. Just do a search for "dog food comparison" and you'll find the sites.

Dogs need protein not filler, byproduct and tons of grains. The first 5 ingredients are the most important and at LEAST 3 of them should be good quality sources of protein.

Good luck.

8. Luana's Mom

Luana's Mom Boxer Buddy

Vet suggest Sience Puppy????

I got so confused about what to buy that I called the vet...She said to put her on sience puppy till she gains all her weight back....and then well go from there?Is that a good choice?Im not sure what at all to go with now...

Janice

9. ladyluck_t

ladyluck_t Boxer Insane

Just an FYI science diet gives the vet's discounts/kickbacks for selling their brand. (maybe not all vets) but SD is comparable to Iams and neither are good quality. My vet tried to sell me the "overweight" one, but my katie girl throws up everything but the good stuff! I use Nutro Natural Choice now and she really loves it. you can get it at petco or petsmart, it is just a little more expensive than Iams but you feed less. Also, they have some sensitive tummy food too and high energy. Maybe if you asked your vet what nutrient an underfed dog needs most to put on weight (i.e. protien, carbs, etc.) then you can go look at foods that offer the best quality and amount of that certain nutrient. Good Luck and Congrats!

10. Smooshie

Smooshie Boxer Booster

One thing I have learned is that vet's don't always give the best nutritional advice. Ladyluck is right.....vet's recieve kickbacks from Hills (the makers of Science Diet). their food, IMO is crap. You are MUCH better off going with a premium HUMAN GRADE kibble like the ones suggested in the above posts :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.