Help! Biting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleriya

Boxer Pal
We have our new puppy, she's 9 weeks tomorrow. We love her to bits! She is learning basic training like sit and come. However, we can't get her to stop biting us or our other dog and it's something we've been trying for a week, but it's getting worse. We have tried a few techniques. We tried yelping when she bites in correlation with stopping play for a few seconds. We have also tried distraction with toys and chews. Also our other dog won't nip or yelp or even cry when she gets her. I could live with little nips at toes and things as that is rather normal for the pup but lately she's been going for our faces and our other dogs face. She really is a sweet and smart dog. Her potty training has gone smoothly as well as most of her training. It is just this nipping at the face. I have been trying to read and do research as to what to do, but now I'm clueless. We even tried the whole ah-ah "no". Well her answer to that is to go harder. Any help or guidance would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks in advance!

Jinnytee

Super Boxer
I had this problem with Luna, she would go for my other dogs collars and ears constantly and they were too tolerant to a fault. I almost wished they would snap at her once in a while !. I tried all the same things as you, and it helped to a degree, and is definitely something you should continue. Some days I felt as if all I did all day long was say "Uh Uh", and distract, but I did see an improvement. I think what worked best in the end was just silently and calmly removing her away from myself and the other dogs, and leave her by herself for a minute. We had a baby gate and I would lift her onto the other side of the gate. She very quickly made the connection that when she was nipping she missed out on the fun. I felt that she needed to make the conclusion herself .... all the saying no and distracting was almost a routine that she followed without actually learning from it !

Also your pup is very young, and this is very normal puppy behaviour, which will get better, but obviously you still want to nip it in the bud, especially with the other dogs (who will not be so tolerant once the puppy license expires ). I can happily tell you that Luna is now just over eight months old and she gets on terrifically with my other dogs, and there has been no nipping or her being bothersome for so long, I can't even remember when It stopped. So there is hope :))

Aleriya

Boxer Pal
Hi Jinnytree,

Thanks so much for responding. Maybe I'll have to invest in a baby gate but wouldn't know where to put her. Her and Phoebe get along great and Phoebe loves to play with her. Sometimes the pup plays really well with her but then out of no where she gets this boost like aggression that she decides she wants to be in control and that is it. After she starts doing that I have to lift her. I don't mind the puppy nibbles and stuff like that but she has gotten to the point where if you tell her no and she doesn't like it she'll growl and lunge at you with a bite. I have thought about calling the trainer we use because like I said the playful biting ya I distract her, but it's the bully bites that worry me. Yesterday I had to lift her from going crazy at Phoebe, and when I did she went after my face. I don't know if she just gets too tired and if fighting sleep, if she gets vacuum energy, or if she is trying to assert dominance. I will continue to do the ah-ah no and distraction and hope is works out. Like you said I think that is all just routine work with her now and she pays no head. I'll try distracting with toys but she's like pfft no I want your feet (and man that hurts lol). We are thinking of getting a travel cot that you use for children for her to play in, but now I'll definitely look into a baby gate with an area that is puppy safe. Just putting her in her crate for her sleepy time drives my other dog bananas she sniffs the crate and paces around. She's too loving LOL!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Another thing that you can do, it just get up and leave the room for a couple minutes. Your pup will soon learn that crazy biting makes you leave and she will hate that.

I highly recommend that you download two books by Ian Dunbar. Before You Get Your Puppy and After You get your Puppy. You can get them both for free. Just do a search online.

Good luck!

Aleriya

Boxer Pal
Hi Jan,

Thank you! I will look into the books! So far today she's only really had one crazy episode and I think I've finally figured out the common denominator. Granted I know she doesn't like being told no, but when I give my other dog loads of love the puppy tends to not like that very much. I'm trying hard to give them both equal attention because I don't want my baby to feel that the puppy is stealing her spot in the sun. I will definitely look into those books. I just want my babies to be happy! Thank you both again for the advice!

luvmyboy

Boxer Insane
Might be some competition there. Puppy bites are common & normal. My guy is 2 yrs of age now & every so often comes & want to nibble. They are probably "love bites," but I still discourage it. I have not had more than on dog at a time. I've seen the male dominance thing with my 1st boxer & his brother. Just wonder if there is a female-dominance thing starting...

Status
Not open for further replies.